Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Verilog: What is the proper way to synthesis a JK flip flop with reset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ammar_kurd

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to write a synthesisable Verilog module for a JK with a reset, I have tried this

Code:
module JK_FF(
    input J,
    input K,
    input reset,
    input CLK,
    output reg Q
    );

always @(posedge CLK) begin
    if (reset == 1'b0)
	 begin Q <= 1'b0; end
    case({J,K})
      2'b0_0 : Q <= Q;
      2'b0_1 : Q <= 1'b1;
      2'b1_0 : Q <= 1'b0;
      2'b1_1 : Q <= ~Q;
    endcase
  end

endmodule

But I get this warning :

Code:
WARNING:Xst:647 - Input <reset> is never used. This port will be preserved and left unconnected if it belongs to a top-level block or it belongs to a sub-block and the hierarchy of this sub-block is preserved.

And if I add the reset signal to the sensitivity list like this:
Code:
	 always @(posedge CLK or negedge reset) begin

I get this warnings:

Code:
WARNING:HDLCompiler:91 - "/home/verilog_workspace/Ripple_counter/JK_FF.v" Line 15: Signal <J> missing in the sensitivity list is added for synthesis purposes. HDL and post-synthesis simulations may differ as a result.
WARNING:HDLCompiler:91 - "/home/verilog_workspace/Ripple_counter/JK_FF.v" Line 16: Signal <Q> missing in the sensitivity list is added for synthesis purposes. HDL and post-synthesis simulations may differ as a result.
WARNING:HDLCompiler:91 - "/home/verilog_workspace/Ripple_counter/JK_FF.v" Line 19: Signal <Q> missing in the sensitivity list is added for synthesis purposes. HDL and post-synthesis simulations may differ as a result.
WARNING:Xst:647 - Input <reset> is never used. This port will be preserved and left unconnected if it belongs to a top-level block or it belongs to a sub-block and the hierarchy of this sub-block is preserved.
WARNING:Xst:647 - Input <CLK> is never used. This port will be preserved and left unconnected if it belongs to a top-level block or it belongs to a sub-block and the hierarchy of this sub-block is preserved.
WARNING:Xst:737 - Found 1-bit latch for signal <Q>. Latches may be generated from incomplete case or if statements. We do not recommend the use of latches in FPGA/CPLD designs, as they may lead to timing problems.

It shows that reset is never used! how so? what is the proper way to write a synthesisable JK flip flop in verilog?

Code Verilog - [expand]
    if (reset == 1'b0)         // these two lines are at the same level
        begin Q <= 1'b0; end   // as the case statement
    case({J,K})                // therefore this case overrides the assignment
        2'b0_0 : Q <= Q;       // done in the reset
        2'b0_1 : Q <= 1'b1;    // therefore the reset is NOT used.
        2'b1_0 : Q <= 1'b0;
        2'b1_1 : Q <= ~Q;
    endcase
end

The standard template for a resetable FF is:

Code Verilog - [expand]
    if (!reset_n) Q <= 1'b0;
    else
        // the Q assignment for D, JK, SR, etc FFs
end

as you can see the rest of the assignment is in an else clause and not at the same level (which overrode the reset assignment in the first code)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back