Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altera QIP file - is it a must ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaiko

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I know that Altera IP's (for example - a FIFO) can be added to a project by declaring the altera_mf library and instantiating the appropriate core in HDL (with the required parameters/generics set).

Are there any cases when HDL instantiation is impossible and I MUST use the QIP file?

the .QIP file is only needed if you generate a core. There is no requirement to ever use it for any core, but when your core consists of 100s of source files, then adding just the .QIP file is a good idea.
You'll need it for anything not in the Altera_MF library - for example the PCIE core, ethernet core, SRIO core etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Also if you use anything generated in QSYS, I recommend using the generated .QIP

Reactions: shaiko

shaiko

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back