Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Debugging 2 separate JTAG chain with Vivado

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaiko

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have a PC with 2 separate Xilinx programmers connected to different FPGAs (each programmer is connected to a different USB port).
I want to use the Vivado hardware manager's VIO to debug both FPGA's simultaneously.

How can it be done?

Not sure if that is possible as they would both require access to the driver software.

One option is to daisy chain the two board's JTAG chains together and use only one of the Xilinx programmers for both designs. Having more than one FPGA in the chain does work, I've done this in the past.

Reactions: shaiko

shaiko

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I can tell that connecting multiple JTAG adapters and running multiple debug tool instances is well possible with Altera Quartus.

Reactions: shaiko

shaiko

It might also be possible with Vivado, now that I think about it. The Tcl command line to connect the pod has an ID string that is used that specifies the pod being accessed.

One option is to daisy chain the two board's JTAG chains together
Physically impossible.

Anyways,
I found the way to do it.
Instead of choosing "Auto Connect" , you choose "Open New Target". This allows you to choose one of the 2 attached programmers.

It remains to be seen if everything works properly.

It might also be possible with Vivado, now that I think about it.
It is very much possible with Xilinx Vivado. One of my colleagues have done it.

Reactions: ads-ee

ads-ee

It is very much possible with Xilinx Vivado. One of my colleagues have done it.

I suspected as much, after I thought about the Tcl script I wrote to control the debug cores. I recall having to change the ID of the pod when I had to switch the pod out for a different one (for some reason another engineer wanted to use the pod I had since they were having "problems" with programming the FPGA with the pod they were using, it was user error not the pod :roll:).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back