Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] 90 Branch Line Coupler using HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuzaid10

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Guys,

I try to simulate 90o branch line coupler using HFSS, the S-parameters plot is totally wrong, any one know what are my mistakes!
The file is attached.

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• Quad_hybrid0.zip
    29.9 KB · Views: 78

Welcome abuzaid10,

Is this supposed to be a stripline coupler?

In any event, I would always go with a driven modal solution for coupler design.

Thank you PlanarMetamaterials for your reply,
In fact it is a microstrip coupler, I use FR4_epoxy with relative permittivity of 4.4 . I see the training manual, which gave an example on 180 Ring Hybrid, so I try to follow the same procedure with changing the geometry.
I tried the driven modal solution, it gives me more reliable result, but still there is a difference with what I should get.
Thank you again :)

Hi abuzaid10,

The structure you created does not represent a microstrip device. A microstrip is characterized by a solid conductor backing on one side of a dielectric, with traces on the other. See here for an example of setting up a microstrip device in HFSS.

Good Luck

I re-design the coupler using microstrip structure as in the link, which was very useful. Unfortunately, the S-parameters plot was wrong, is there differences in excitation between driven modal and driven terminal. I appreciate your help.
This file for my new design TisView attachment Quad_hybrid_org.rar

- Your ground plane is not assigned to be a conductor.
- The wave ports are not properly sized.
- There is still no surrounding vacuum box.

The proper way to set these up can all be found in my previous link.

Good Luck

I worked on the three points you mentioned, and also try to simulate using and without meshing, but the plot is almost the same.
Now it looks much better, but I believe there is error(s), can you help me, please?
This is the file after final editing: View attachment Quad_hybrid_org.rar

Last edited:

Your setup now looks correct. I would change the frequency sweep to type "discrete", but other than that I think the rest is just your particular design. This one seems to work OK around 3.6 GHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.