Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to protect QSPI Flash??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtronix

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

In my system, microprocessor is directly interface to QSPI Flash.
During power on uP execute from QSPI flash and it copies all data to RAM then it executes from RAM.

But all data and code are pleaced in QSPI Flash and is not protected so anyone can copy the entire flash and they can make the duplicate product. I want to protect code sector for reading like happen in microcontroller flash protection.

QSPI Flash P/N: S25FL128
uP: Renesas RZ A1H

Hi,

I just googled "encrypt rz/a1"
(The same or similar could you do)

There are documents describing what you need.
To use the renesas encryption engine you need to sign an nda. This is a standard procedure.

Klaus

Encrypting flash content would be an option, but requires to store a key safely inside the processor.

Code protection is of course not available for a flash. Think! How could the processor load the data if it's protected against reading? Code protection works only for processors with internal flash where the code can be executed but not read externally.

hi FvM,

If you can see the datasheet of S25FL128S chapter 9. Data Protection on page no. 67 there is a OTP note where it has mention that " The OTP memory space is intended for increased system security. OTP values can “mate” a flash component with the system CPU/ASIC to prevent device substitution"

is it useful for protecting the data??

I'm worry beacuse in flash i have my firmware and anybody can make duplicate so can you please suggest how to do protection with this device or any alternate method.

I have one more question that how the other people do the protection as the whole world is using external memory for microprocessor based product?

hi chandu,

what you are asking for??

i have firmware in QSPU flash.

I believe that a strong cryptographic method can be only implemented if your processor is able to store a piece of software in an internal read protected flash. Otherwise any encryption algorithm has to be loaded from the flash before and can be potentially reengineered. At least the private key must be read protected inside the processor.

For a lower protection level, you can e.g. use the preprogrammed random number in the OTP block to personalize a firmware copy. Or pair it with data in protected internal processor EEPROM. If the processor has an unique ID, a hash can be stored in the OTP area, Again, the hash algorithm must be hidden.

Studying cryptographic methods should help you to find a solution. E. g. Bruce Schneier, Cryptography Engineering.

Status
Not open for further replies.