Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Msp430g2553 with dac to generate a sine wave with a variable frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

musclemania05

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello I am having trouble using a microcontroller(msp430g2553 Launchpad) and DAC to create a system capable of generating a sine wave, where the frequency is selectable using a pushbutton and the output frequency of the sine wave is selectable between the two following frequencies 180Hz and 400Hz.

not sure how to set up the circuit to do this, the circuit should be on board and soldered. also coding some what.

Setting up the circuit like when I build the circuit on a vector board would I just need a low pass filter with dac and some headers to have the wires from the micro to the dac circuit and my error limits are +-10 and I am using a msp430 cause I have one and no need to spend extra money if it's capable of doing the requirements.

Hello!

First your question is not clear.
G2553 does not have a DAC inside so I can see 2 options.
- Use an external DAC
- Generate your waves by PWM and filter. In this case you need no DAC. I have published
an article on how to do that with full source code for MSP430. But you will have to adapt
it a little bit for the G2553 because it's done with a F5659.

Search "C-11 DAC using PWM" and you should find it.

Dora.

The SAR-12bit may be configured as a DAC but considering the learning curve will have just to make 2 sine waves and the chip capability, I can think of better choices and more suitable applications for the chip when you learn how to use it.

A protoboard is not the best for low noise sine waves with long wires. It seems you need to learn how analog signals need to be shielded and filtered.

Status
Not open for further replies.