Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Generating a baud rate of 115200 bps using AXI UART 16550

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunayana Chakradhar

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I want to set the baud rate for the PL UART which I am creating to 115200 bps using AXI UART 16550 IP core. I know that the default baud rate generated by this core is 9600. How do i vary this baud rate and where should i do it?

Look into the PARAMETERS section of the RTL code for the AXI UART 16550.
You can change it there.

The baud rate is set by writing to the divisor registers as with a real 16550 UART chip. Presumed you are using the device with an embedded processor, it's done in the C code.

I am using a zynq 7020 FPGA device and want to design a UART in PL and set the baud rate to 115200 bps. Therefore i decided to use AXI UART 16550 but i am unable to access the vhdl code of this IP core. I cannot change anything on vivado. However I think in SDK, the baud rate can be set to 115200 bps. If you confirm this, I can mark it aas solved. Kindly reply.

I have not used "AXI UART 16550", but you should not need the RTL source code to set the baud rate.
You select a suitable clock for the UART when you design the hardware, but the value in the baud rate divisor register is not defined by the RTL source code. It is set by software at run time.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Is there any relationship between clock and baud rate?

You should read the documentation for the AXI UART 16550. It took <20 secs to find this:

Capture.JPG

...and it took me longer to add this post than it took to find the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back