Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Help on seed for true random generator in VHDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

LatticeSemiconductor

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am trying to use true random values to feed my testbench for functional simulation. I am using the random package from OSVVM but the sequence is pseudo random. Is it possible to use system time to generate the seed in VHDL?

I want to use the system time not simulation time, so i have different values each time i run the simulation. I could not find any VHDL example for a true random generator. Is it a bad idea to configure simulation randomly? I know i should rather aim for coverage, i am still a beginner on that topic.

- - - Updated - - -

I just found the $gettime command. Trying to use this in my simulation macro file, then pass it throu a generic to my testbench. It is Aldec spezific though, and i don't know the data type it returns.

All numbers that calculated are pseudorandom. Even if you feed them with the system time, the resulting sequence is psuedorandom, based on a given distribution. Getting truly random input in a VHDL testbench would be very difficult, as it would hard to hook into a RNG system function (which usually uses something like thermal noise to create a random number.

The whole point about using a known seed in testbenches is for reproducibility. for a given seed, you get a given sequence. Hence if you find a bug, you can easily reproduce the sequence to debug and fix the bug.

I would highly suggest you stick to a given seed (or set of seeds), and just run the test for longer to get more coverage. This way, if theres a bug, you can fix it.
Is there some special reason for using OSVVM? this gives a wealth of number distributions and coverage metrics, but did you know there is a random number generator built into VHDL in the ieee.math_real package? the uniform function takes two positive seed values and gives a pseudo random real between 0 and 1. You can use this to derrive random numbers in any types. I think even part of OSVVM uses this function underneath.

- - - Updated - - -

PS. I dont mean to discourage the use of the OSVVM package. It is very good, but it sounds like you arnt fully aware of testing theory and practice.

- - - Updated - - -

You would only go with a "random" seed if you were running your testbench through regression runs, to try and find any final bugs. For inital debug, you want to stick with a single (or a known set) of seeds.

You may be interested in a cryptographically secure pseudo-random number generator (CSPRNG).

Why do you need to blast random values in?
Are you unsure how your program deals with unspecified inputs?
If you have others => clauses(or defaults) or don't spec them in the if statement then you should be fine.

The whole point about using a known seed in testbenches is for reproducibility ... to debug and fix the bug.

Yes, i am aware of that. This is why i thought it would not be that common since i did not find an example on the net. My intention was to, like you said, use it as a companion to try and find any final bugs.
I think even part of OSVVM uses this function underneath.
That is correct. The random function actually uses the uniform function from ieee.math_real.
Is there some special reason for using OSVVM?
I am using OSVVM as a starting point for verification and simulation coverage. I was reading a little about testing theory and am trying to apply it, still beginning in this matter though.

I could not pass the time to my testbench through the macro file, but i think i leave that now and use only known sets of seeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.