Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] RTC not acknowledging slave address

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

According timing information of the m41t83 data should change AFTER falling clock edge. With your scope picture they are very close.

Do you think this may cause a problem?

Check if /RSTout is stable high.
Yes, It's high as it is connected to a pull up resistor

Do you use SOX18 package? Yes -->
* Did you connect 2,3,9, 16,17 to Vss? Yes, Pin 2 is connected to Vss and the rest of NF pins are internally shorted
* Did you connect 6 and 15 to Vcc? Yes

Klaus

Answers are above

- - - Updated - - -

I see correct write address 0x68 but no acknowledge. There's possibly a hardware problem with the RTC, e.g. with the power supply.

I checked the Vcc pin and it's 3.3V. How can I ensure that the IC is working?

Hi,

Datasheet clearly says: "NF pins must be tied to VSS" --> please do so.

Klaus

Hi,

Datasheet clearly says: "NF pins must be tied to VSS" --> please do so.

Klaus

Hmmm,

The hardware engineer has designed the circuit that way and I thought both things wiring only one pin of them or wiring all pins to ground are the same.

Generally, I'll discuss the issue with him and I hope it will solve the problem as it is a PCB and it needs a long cycle to do it.

Hi,

I don't have the IC by hand, so you could simply test on your circuit if pins 16 and 17 are pulled to Vss.

Klaus

Hi,

I don't have the IC by hand, so you could simply test on your circuit if pins 16 and 17 are pulled to Vss.

Klaus

I tested them and they are zero volts then I shorted pins 2 & 3 and pins 16 & 17 externally and finally the IC started acknowledging the controller :)

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.