Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DSL Signal Filter and Booster

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjsummers

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I am having an issue with my current internet provider's (CenturyLink) DSL service, in which multiple times per day I experience a signal dropoff (Connection Timeouts, Service is Not Available, etc...) while either using my laptop, gaming console, or handheld devices. My ISP stated that I would have a great connection speed ~40Mbps (their TV ads state the speed is 40MBps, which is misleading).

With the above being mentioned, I have a few questions:
1) Does an End-User Signal Booster exist for consumer use?
2) If not then is it possible to design and build an end-user Signal Booster (Noise Filter and Gain Amp) for DSL?
3) if the above question is yes then is there a specific frequency range (kHz or MHz) that I need to concentrate on?

Opinions, thoughts, tips are welcome

- - - Updated - - -

According to Wikipedia, DSL is in the 4kHz-4MHz frequency range so it doesn't interfere with voice traffic over telephone lines and in chunks of 4312.5Hz between 10Hz and 100kHz.

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_subscriber_line

Which type is your connection, wifi or wired?

------------------------------

Have you visited websites which test the quality of your hookup?
For instance:

Look for a diagram of the globe, click Start Test:

www.pingtest.net

Don't forget to type an answer to the proof of humanness question:

www.dslreports.com/pingtest

------------------------------

Sometimes it matters how far you live from a central switching depot. Do you know if there is a critical distance?

Do you have advice from CenturyLink what you can expect, in regard to quality of service?

Did they say you might need additional amplifiers, boosters, splitters, etc.?

-----------------------------

1) Does an End-User Signal Booster exist for consumer use?

In a wifi hookup these might be in the form of a larger antenna, or an amplifier. Haven't heard of this sort of thing for direct ethernet.

Which type is your connection, wifi or wired?

Wifi to my electronic devices. Not concentrating on that end of the signal. Interested in placing the booster between the modem and the wall

Have you visited websites which test the quality of your hookup?
For instance:

Look for a diagram of the globe, click Start Test:

www.pingtest.net

Don't forget to type an answer to the proof of humanness question:

www.dslreports.com/pingtest

Yes, I have visited sites that will check my internet connection.

Sometimes it matters how far you live from a central switching depot. Do you know if there is a critical distance?

Do you have advice from CenturyLink what you can expect, in regard to quality of service?

Did they say you might need additional amplifiers, boosters, splitters, etc.?

For a better internet service please upgrade to our PrismTV service. Declined, we are using DirecTV service because we want the ability to watch our NFC North Football teams when they play.

No they didn't say anything about additional equipment when we signed up for the service.

In a wifi hookup these might be in the form of a larger antenna, or an amplifier. Haven't heard of this sort of thing for direct ethernet.

The issue is not located on the house side of the modem, but the external (ISP) side of the modem

Clean all connections, where copper meets copper. (We once had cable internet, which would cut out for unknown reasons. I finally traced it to the inner wire (signal carrying) of a coax cable entering in the garage. It had tarnish on it, causing a bad connection. It was hard to access, but I managed to roughen up the wire's skin a little, and restored connection.)

To clean telephone connectors, try a steel brush, or steel wool, or end of stranded wires.

Use an ohmmeter or continuity tester on each wire in your cable. Try running 1 or 2 Amperes, to verify that it's good. Disconnect the cable from valuable equipment when doing this test.

Did your DSL modem come with utility software? Does it have its own webpage? Open the settings of your modem. You may find some setting that improves performance, although your problems do not sound like the sort that are related to settings. Beware of changing a setting that does something drastic.

Are neighbors are the same channel as your wifi? Is a neighbor piggybacking on your wifi? Try changing the channel of your wifi. Try changing your password. Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back