Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fluke 95 scopemeter goes crazy after some minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

flaxwalter

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, please. I have a Fluke 95 scopemeter wich had ever worked very well, but three monts ago some buttons stopped working, on turning on it does right measures on both meter and scope, but after five minutes it begin to go crazy, doing random beeps and displaying different things. At last it displays a "service" message on the lower part of the screen. If I shut it down and then turn it on, it works fine for another minute or so. I opened the scopemeter and I can feel an electrolytic capacitor (may be 470uF middle size) getting hot. My question is if you think the capacitor is causing all that problem? Thanks for your answer.

I can feel an electrolytic capacitor (may be 470uF middle size) getting hot.

Yes, it is a prime suspect. Heat suggests it is carrying high current. Therefore either it has a severe internal leak, or it is exposed to excessive voltage, etc.

You ought to remove the capacitor. Can you measure applied voltage? Observe it on a scope?

A typical role for that size of uF is power supply filter. Is there a second capacitor of equal value, to assist in that job?

In any event, your problem may go away after replacing the hot capacitor, preferably rated for much higher than the highest voltage it is exposed to.

I'll check it. it is a 470uF at 25V. Near that C there are two inductors that get got, may be they radiate the C. Anyway I will replace it. Thanks. (I don't understand the "giving points" form yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back