Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about Tantalum Film Resistor in ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamranraja222

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,
I want to simulate some tantalum film resistors in ADS.I will take the Libra thin film resistor model
from ADS Library. I know the thickness and resistivity of Tantalum,so I can easily find the sheet resistance.I will put the 50 ohm value of sheet resistance there. Than I will change the length and width of TFR modelto get my desire resistance value.My question is am I right to do so? Thanks in advance.

I will put the 50 ohm value of sheet resistance there. Than I will change the length and width of TFR modelto get my desire resistance value.My question is am I right to do so?

It is better (more realistic) to use the actual physical size, and adjust the sheet resistance value.

Maybe I misunderstood your project, but I would use the correct sheet resistance (same as in hardware) instead of using 50 Ohm.

Maybe I misunderstood your project, but I would use the correct sheet resistance (same as in hardware) instead of using 50 Ohm.

As far as my knowledge, sheet resistance depend on resistivity and thickness of the material.than you can use length and width to get the desired actual value. Am I right? My second question is that when we are using film resistor in ADS, How can we set the resistor material?

As far as my knowledge, sheet resistance depend on resistivity and thickness of the material.

Correct. Material is Tantalum in your case and thickness is usually given (fixed) by the manufacturing process. This means that sheet resistance will be different from 50 Ohm in many cases. No problem, you just need to set the actual sheet resistance value in your model.

My second question is that when we are using film resistor in ADS, How can we set the resistor material?

You don't need to define/set the material. Just provide the correct sheet resistance (calculated from conductivity and thickness).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back