Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to charge an empty 6V VRLA battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny55

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I need help here to top up the charge on a 6V 1.3Ah empty VRLA battery.

Whats the voltage & current i should be using to charge the battery?

Here's the battery information:

Constant voltage charge

Boost/equalize: 7.2 - 7.5V

Float: 6.75 - 6.9V

Max charging current :0.39A

I am using an LM317 adjustable voltage regulator to set the charging voltage.

Thanks,
Sunny55.

A state machine with flip flops is simple to control these 3 states. plus Vbat present.

Use a current sense R such as 75~ 100mV at max current.
Use a band gap ref for controlling current , voltage and shutdown float, which is included in LM317, but using a linear regulator is very inefficient with heat sink required.

Measure average current with a comparator to turn on MOSFET for CC mode with series storage inductor and clamp diode to make a buck regulator. This will make it oscillate, so inductor must be able to handle DC current. ( e.g. 50~100uH)

Voltage feedback also feedback to prevent over voltage with small filter.

When CC reaches 7.2V it goes into CV mode and a few seconds after CV mode, it checks if current is less than ~ 10% of max rated current, then can go into Float mode.

Generally VRLA's use a thermistor to compensate target voltages to prevent gassing according to Mfg specs.

Or look for a ASIC to reduce component count.

Status
Not open for further replies.