Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mosfet drain/source minimum voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedyrudolf

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, everyone.
I have a very basic question. I have a couple mosfets in half-bridge configuration. I would like to know what could happen if I turned the mosfets on, but there was no current on either drain or source pins.
A basic circuit representation is as in the image attached. So, basically, both h-bridges are turned on by the same driver, but only one of them gets any voltage at all. What would happen to the mosfets when the opto-triac is switched off and the mosfet switched on?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• temp-page-001.jpg
    temp-page-001.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 74

Would you mind to explain the purpose of the opto triacs in the shown circuit topology? Besides other problems, their current rating doesn't seem to fit the MOSFETs.

The schematic is somehow incomplete, it's not shown how the gate signals are generated and if they are referenced to the MOSFET source terminals as required. If so, there's no problem to switch the MOSFETs on and off. There's no minimum Vds for doing so, unlike a triac, they can conduct with zero or even negative Vds (at least up the substrate diode forward voltage).

Status
Not open for further replies.