Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Output variables sequentially?

Status
Not open for further replies.

random_duck

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Ok, so assume I have two or more variables like this:

shared variable char_one : std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); -- ASCII character one.
shared variable char_two : std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); -- ASCII character two.

I am trying to figure out, how I can possibly output the values of these variables on an output pin (signal, std_logic_vector(7:0)) sequentially, one after the other, provided a certain signal is currently high.

I guess a FIFO buffer might work, but surely there must be a simpler way? I am a beginner to VHDL, but truly puzzled at the moment.

Thanks. :smile:

Hi,

You can implement a simple counter & output the next shared variable after each increment of the counter using a case statement or something similar.
This would be hard coding & btw how many shared variables do you have ?

On the other hand why do you think FIFO buffer is difficult ?If you are using Xilinx ISE/Vivado they have a FIFO ip core which you can readily implement.

Why are you using shared variables? There is absolutely no reason to use them in synthesisable vhdl. I worry you're thinking like a software programmer and not like a hardware designer.

Thanks for the replies.

Hi,

You can implement a simple counter & output the next shared variable after each increment of the counter using a case statement or something similar.
This would be hard coding & btw how many shared variables do you have ?

On the other hand why do you think FIFO buffer is difficult ?If you are using Xilinx ISE/Vivado they have a FIFO ip core which you can readily implement.

Hmm, counter might be a wise option. Thanks for the suggestion. Some questions:

* So would the counter count for a fixed number of clock cycles, and then trigger a flag once it 'fills up'?

* Would I have a separate process for the counter, and check the value of the counter flag inside the other process I am using?

I only need two variables at the moment, but I might need more in the future.

Why are you using shared variables? There is absolutely no reason to use them in synthesisable vhdl. I worry you're thinking like a software programmer and not like a hardware designer.

Hmm, OK maybe I shouldn't use them from now on then, I can see that it may turn into a 'bad' habit.

As an additional question: Is it easy to take it a step further, and output pre-defined 'strings'? By string, I mean a sequence of pre-defined numbers...

Thanks again.

Thanks for the replies.
Hmm, counter might be a wise option. Thanks for the suggestion. Some questions:
* So would the counter count for a fixed number of clock cycles, and then trigger a flag once it 'fills up'?
* Would I have a separate process for the counter, and check the value of the counter flag inside the other process I am using?
I only need two variables at the moment, but I might need more in the future.
Thanks again.
Say you have five variables,instead of the two you have.
Write a counter module,output of the counter is an integer.(counter counting from 0 to 3 & then resets to 0,incrementing at every clk cycle).
You don't need to wait till counter counts to max value,makes sense ?

Instantiate the counter in your top module & write a case statement.

Int_Count is counter o/p & Z is your top module o/p

Code Snippet of sequentially assigning your o/p
Code:
process(Int_Count,clk,char_one,char_two,char_three,char_four)
begin
case Int_Count is
  when 0      =>  Z  <= char_one;
  when 1  =>  Z <= char_two;
  when 2  =>  Z <= char_three;
  when 3  =>  Z <= char_four;
  when others =>  Z <= (OTHERS => '0');
end case;
end process;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search