Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does the close form expression mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evoplus

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
close form expression

Hi,

I don't know whether if it's the correct place to place this. I would like to ask what is the maning of closed form expression. I notice this term in some RF books but it seems to me that its a math enquiry so I post this here

close form expression

Quote from Eric's Mathworld:

An equation is said to be a closed-form solution if it solves a given problem in terms of functions and mathematical operations from a given generally accepted set. For example, an infinite sum would generally not be considered closed-form. However, the choice of what to call closed-form and what not is rather arbitrary since a new "closed-form" function could simply be defined in terms of the infinite sum.

Re: close form expression

Sometimes closed form is meant as opposed to an empirically drawn graph. The closed form is a mathematical equation.

the meaning of closed form expression is that the equation is solved by simple or know functions as ( sin, cos, exp and ect ect).
Many differential equations are not solved by simple or know functions, so you must use numerical methods to solve it!

Regards.

andreas1982 said:
the meaning of closed form expression is that the equation is solved by simple or know functions as ( sin, cos, exp and ect ect).
Many differential equations are not solved by simple or know functions, so you must use numerical methods to solve it!

Regards.

i dont think, the explanation u gave is right. that is a very informal definition which might be mistaken. simple doesnt mean closed ofrm expression. the expression's equivalent must be over a finite set. that would be a more relevant informal definition i guess! :)

/cedance

close form expression

the contrast closed form solution and numerical solution. closed form solution means symbolic solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.