Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

source switching AC and battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harryz

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good day.
I have a project which involves source switching (I don't know what to call). What I want to happen are:
I have a AC supply and a battery supply. When not plugged in, of course, the battery is the supply and when plugged in, the AC is the supply and at the same time charging the battery. How can I do this? Please help me. I really need this. I am not very fond on electronics. Thanks for the help.
I don't know if this is the right section for my problem. Thanks anyway.

Generally one uses a "diode OR" function. Connect a diode from each source to the load. Whichever source is supplying a higher voltage turns on its diode and supplies the circuit. Any sources that are not active generally supply zero voltage. In your case set the AC supply to provide a little higher voltage than the battery, but both within the voltage spec of the load.

Generally one uses a "diode OR" function. Connect a diode from each source to the load. Whichever source is supplying a higher voltage turns on its diode and supplies the circuit. Any sources that are not active generally supply zero voltage. In your case set the AC supply to provide a little higher voltage than the battery, but both within the voltage spec of the load.

Thanks for this. I kinda understand but not enough. Can you show me a sample diagram? Thanks Mr. Sherpa

Diode_OR.gif

The two diodes on the right pass whichever voltage is higher to the VCC line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back