Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to send messages wirelessly to a POV Clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetallstumpyone

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm building a POV clock but one of the requirements is to be able to send a message to the clock to display while its spinning (around 10 characters).

We are planning to use a PIC microprocessor with c programming etc. The PCB hasn't been built yet but wondering what kind of device I could use to connect to the POV clock so I can achieve this? Ideally we would like to send a text to the POV clock and the short message is displayed.

I've been looking at bluetooth devices but its all way to complicated for the level of knowledge I have!

Thanks

hi
Your key is how to achieve a simple and reliable wireless communication, there are many integrated Bluetooth module on the market today, they usually do not require programming. Are connected via AT commands to the computer, the two modules can be paired. After pairing, the transmission data is transparent, does not require other settings,Generally, the maximum baud rate can reach 115200.Of course, there are other higher.you can search for keyword "HM Bluetooth" or "HC Bluetooth" on eBay.
thanks
dreamtale

I've decided to go with the IR and a few resistors etc and plug that into my PIC micro controller. I was thinking of using an app to send the message from my phone (using the built in IR) to the IR on the POV clock. It this feasible? Any suggestions on how to make the app? Ie code types. I'm a novice and have never written an app before!

I'm using a TSOP 38238 IR receiver. Will this do?

If your phone has IR capability, yes, that makes sense to be using.

First, you'll have to figure out what protocol the IR uses; to do this, capture a sample string with your TSOP, and record the output on a sound recorder like Audacity. Once you have analysed the protocol, you'd be in a better position to write the decoding code for your PIC.

Alternately, as suggested above, bluetooth is really not that difficult to implement. In fact, on the smartphone side, you'll need to do no programming at all, you could simply use an app like BlueTerm (available on the Playstore). This is like a serial terminal emulator, except it directs its traffic to and from the bluetooth, rather than a physical serial port.

On the receiving side, all you'll need is a simple Bluetooth to serial adapter; do a google search for 'Linvor'. Lots available on ebay, for cheap, and very easy to use.

Regards,

Anand

If I go with Bluetooth, can someone recommend an actual device I can use? It has to be through hole as the PCB is through hole. And not arduino!!!

Most of the Bluetooth module is SMD. But any course you can find some use the adapter plate module, they can be used directly on the through-holes.I recommend HM10 Bluetooth, you can find in ebay.

If I go with Bluetooth, can someone recommend an actual device I can use? It has to be through hole as the PCB is through hole. And not arduino!!!

Dont worry if the module you see has 'Arduino' in its description; it can work as well with any controller, it just sells better if its advertised to do with Arduino!

Check on ebay for modules wchich work on 5 volts; these are mounted on a backpane pcb which makes it thru'u pcb friendly. Also, then you dont need to provide a 3.3 volt supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back