Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wireless communication with PIC24f and MRF24WB0MA

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello, thanks for you reponse
i downlad the MplabX and the compile XC16;
I unzip this file in directory temp (i dont understand how to unzip the file and use MplabX to build it) but i can't open
wifly_pass_thru_dem o_exp16_p24 like a project MPlab
Sans titre.png
and when i open a project in MplabX to test this software but he dispay me a error message
err.png
and i verufy thatXC16 is the compiler of MPlabX
cfg.png
thanks in advance

after unzipping the file RNWebServer_Version_1.0r.zip into temp
in MPLAX I do File then Open Project and find directory C:\temp\RNWebServer_Version_1.0r\framework\apps\wifly\wifly_passthrough\firmware and click on wifly_pass_thru_demo_exp16_p24 and MPLAX opens the project and displays
MPLABX.jpg

then click Run then Run Project and it compiles and programs the Explorer 16 board
MPLABX2.jpg
I use a Real ICE to program it but Ihave used an ICD3 in the past

you may need to run MPLAB driver switcher (in administrator mode) to switch your program driver from MPLAB to MPLABX

Reactions: ings

ings

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
i'm open the project with MplabX,
i m using real ICE tto run the project but he diplay me msg error "real ice not found"
the problm is becaue i m not run mplab driver witcher to switch my program tp MplmX?
IF i switch th driver can i open my old project with Mplab8 andC30? he will not display me a error??

I have several programmers including Pickit3, ICD3 and Real ICE

plug in whch programmer youare going to use and run the MPLAB device driver switcher in Administrator mode (otherwise it won't switch drivers)

click the programmer you have plugged in and then the MPLABX button and it should say it is now set up fopr MPLABX, e.g.
switcher.jpg

if at some time you wish to use the programmer with MPLAB run the switcher again selecting the MPLAB button

ings

i m trying to switch Mplab to Mplabx but i have a msg of error
mx.png
and when i run the projet i have this messag
err.png

have you plugged in your Real ICE programmer and when you ran the switcher did you right click and "Run as Administrator"

ings

no i dont plug with my real ICE because i woul juste like to simulate this projet like Mplab8 or witth MplabX it is obligatory to connect my real ICE programmer because i would like to test this project with Simulation

no i dont plug with my real ICE because i woul juste like to simulate this projet like Mplab8 or witth MplabX it is obligatory to connect my real ICE programmer because i would like to test this project with Simulation
I have never used simulation - always used development boards such as the Explorer 16 for evaluating alternatives or gone straight to prototype PCBs
You need the programmer (Real ICE ir ICD3) to program the target board
I would have thought you could run simulations without that

ings

and in your opinion if i use my own developement board ( not Explorer 16) i will modify this code or it will th same think
anaother qustion please what is the dofference btween RN171 and MRF24WB0MA
thaksin advance

and in your opinion if i use my own developement board ( not Explorer 16) i will modify this code or it will th same think
anaother qustion please what is the dofference btween RN171 and MRF24WB0MA
thaksin advance
there is nothing to stop you implementing and testing your code on your own dev board
you can use a programmer such as an ICD3 or Real ICE for debugging
I always connect a UART to PC for debugging and configuration (sending and receiving informaton using printf() and scanf()) and often a USB connection to a GUI as well

the RN171 as an onboard TCP/IP stack and you send it commands via a UART or SPI
the MRF24WB is just a transciver module - the TCP/IP stack sits in the microcontroller and you make calls to library functions - clearly the TCP/IP stack being in the microcontroller consumes memory and computing power

ings

So RN171 is a module that contains all that is necessary while MRF24WB is like a blank module must be manage its TCP / IP with the microcontroller.
So what's the advantage of MRF
thanks in advance

So RN171 is a module that contains all that is necessary while MRF24WB is like a blank module must be manage its TCP / IP with the microcontroller.
So what's the advantage of MRF
thanks in advance
the following Microchip page compares the RN and MRF WiFi produects
**broken link removed**

The RN171 functionality is fixed althought you can implement your own protocols in the host micro. Because you have full access to the TCP/IP code the MRF products are more flexible. - in terns of price they are similar.

in the end you select a product to meet the application specification.

ings

As a beginner I will use RN171 since it is easier than mrf. Over the programming is easier to understand than that of MRF
My only prblem is at MplabX that I can not understand as to Mplab8 and especially in the execution of code that can only be done with the programmer and the card I should build!!

probably a good choice as the RN171 command interface is easier to use than the MLA TCP/IP stack and you have a simple interface between microcontroller UART and the RN171

if you are a begineer it is worth persevering with MPLABX as all new projects will use MPLABX, e.g. the latest MLA does not have any MPLAB project support

ings

Thank you very much for you response.
Another question please In the project Wifly_pass_thru_demo_exp16_p24, he has 6 file.C and i don't know for exmple in my case i have a anlog input and i usig the ADC and dislay this value of temperture in the LCD and finaly i would like to send this information in the RN171 without using a web page. so i will use the same code and just add the ADC function ,??
thanks in advance

you can use the Wifly_pass_thru_demo_exp16_p24 project as a template - remove any code you don't need and add what you require like your ADC function.
You say that you will send the value to the RN171 - are you planning to write your own TCP or UDP client/sever code, or send it to a web page, or send as an email?

ings

no in my case i have two R171 module :
sensor + PIC24f+ RN171 (emitter)
PC+ RN171 (receiver)
So i would like just to send the value of temperaure to the PC without using a web page or send as a mail
the examplle in Wifly_pass_thru_demo_exp16_p2 have the same step as my project ??

how are you planning to do the PC+ RN171 (receiver) part?

If you PC has a WiFi interface (or is already connected to an existing WiFi network) you don't require the PC+ RN171 (receiver)

Last edited:

ings

i will doing a code with java to read the recived paramter from RN171. i dont understand this phrase "you don't require the PC+ RN171 (receiver)"
you means that if i have a web pagei will display directli my parameters..

i will doing a code with java to read the recived paramter from RN171. i dont understand this phrase "you don't require the PC+ RN171 (receiver)"
you means that if i have a web pagei will display directli my parameters..
if you already have WiFi the RN171 can connect to the network using the set wan command, e.g.
Code:
set wlan h localWiFi
set wlan p password
you can then send a UDP datagram to a UDP server or connect to a TCP server using the open command, e.g. open port 20001 on ip address 192.168.1.65
Code:
open 192.168.1.65 20001

you can write the PC TCP or UDP server in java
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/networking/sockets/clientServer.html

ings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor