Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Weird latchup-like issue with PIC18F4550 and SPI peripheral

Status
Not open for further replies.

narwhaler

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm just bringing up a new board with the attached circuit for pushbutton multiplexing. The microcontroller is a PIC18F4550. SPI_SCK and SPI_SDI refer to the PIC's hardware SPI peripheral. Basically the circuit uses the built in SPI capabilities of the PIC, with a dual tri-state buffer (U16), to read out the 7 pushbuttons through a parallel to serial shift register (U15). U14 is a switch debouncing chip that also provides an IRQ output (CH_) that goes low on any button state change. The BUTTON_SELECT_ line serves a few purposes to save GPIO pins on the PIC: it enables SPI communication to the shift register by enabling the U16 outputs, and it also triggers a load of the button states from the storage register inputs to the shift register on U15 via the STCP pin. Finally, it controls the output latches of the MAX6818, as taking the EN_ pin low drives the outputs. Taking EN_ low also resets the CH_ flag, which goes low on any button state change and then is reset to high on the falling edge of EN_. Because the MAX6818 tri-states it's outputs when EN_ is high, resistors R67-R72 are included to prevent floating inputs on U15. Also R66 is included so that the clock input SHCP is not floating when BUTTON_SELECT_ is high. The PIC SPI_SDI line also has a pulldown (not shown in the image).

The circuit works fine in regular operation, as I'm able to see the BUTTON_INT signal from U14 and then read out the pushbutton state by taking BUTTON_SELECT_ low and then high (to latch switch inputs into shift register U15), then low again and clocking out the data with SPI_SCK on the SPI_SDI line.

However, I'm seeing some very weird behavior from the circuit and I have no idea what is going on. Basically what is happening is that if the chip select line (BUTTON_SELECT_) remains high (i.e. U16 chip select deactivated) for more than a few seconds, then the whole system latches up somehow. The PIC microcontroller freezes (even pressing the master clear button MCLR_, which triggers a hardware reset, does nothing). The system current remains stable for a second or two after the PIC freezes, and then starts to ramp up by about 15 mA over the next few seconds, then drops rapidly back down to the quiescent level, after which the PIC resets. A few seconds after reset, the cycle begins again. All I need to do to prevent this behavior is to pulse the BUTTON_SELECT_ line low before the latchup occurs, which is certainly a workable solution, but at the same time I really need to understand the problem to make sure there are not other facets of the issue that I need to be concerned about. My first thought was some type of floating input issue, but I believe I've got everything tied down that could float, unless I'm missing something. Otherwise I'm fairly lost at this point and would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

datasheets:
MAX6818 datasheet
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

15mA seems more like a floating / midrange input than a
supply-pins latchup current level, to me.

The BUTTON_SELECT would tri-state everything, and it
is probably the first thing I'd poke with a 'scope probe to
see what it's up to (railed high, or "kinda sorta high,
drifting to middle"?). Then I'd have a look at that SHCP
clock pin, which when tri-stated would have a very weak
(100Kohm) drive strength, and if drifting down from a
high last-valid-state might slowwwlllllyyyyy slide through
the input linear region and commence to chatter driving
the '597 a bit nuts? Is that clock input A Schmitt type
that could maybe stand such action? And why is tri-stating
it a better idea than, say, an AND gate which would stop
activity, but provide a stiff known input level?

Thanks for your response. I agree it seems more like a floating input, but I'm not sure why the PIC is resetting because of that. Latchup was probably not the right term there...

I agree the button select is suspicious, I haven't spent much time troubleshooting this because like I said I have a workaround for now so I've been working on getting the rest of the board tested. But I'll poke around there and check all of those lines. Point taken about the weak pulldown on the SHCP pin, I could certainly get away with a much stronger value given that the communication is so rarely active that wasting power is not much of a concern.

I have the tri-state buffers on there because the Q out from U15 is always driven, and the SPI_SDI line is shared among all peripherals so U15 has to be completely disconnected to avoid conflict. And then on the clock side, I believe you would need two gates to get the proper logic to implement the disconnect, because the signal I want to SHCP is (!BUTTON_SELECT_ & SPI_SCK) = SHCP high only when BUTTON_SELECT_ is low and SPI_SCK is high, so it's just easier in my mind to use a dual buffer with a pulldown.

Are you certain that the PIC reset issue isn't possibly having persistent interrupt assertion by Button_Int that isn't being cleared, and you are encountering an interrupt stack overflow /code re-entrancy issue? I might consider using a logic gate and/or a FF to avoid relying on a high z-state for controlling any enable pins on CMOS devices - distinct edges with valid logic levels are preferrable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back