Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

meta materials in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahima tandon

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello everyone!

i was working on UWB now i want to introduce meta materials to UWB antennas . can anyone help me to do so and explain me how can i do that.........:-(

I can't understand your problem. The metamaterial is a circuit. Just create this circuit inside your project and simulate (and it will take a helluva time and memory)

Or you can try estimating on the single frequency by creating a dielectric with negative ε and negative µ. But it is not correct because metamaterials are highly dispersive, anisotropic, and have complex parameters.

You can create a unit cell with periodic boundaries and apply driven terminal to analyze all the modes in infinite structure. But this way you can analyze only the metamaterial itself.
Actually, there are some hybrid modes in ver.14 and above allowing you to quickly solve periodic unit cells INSIDE non-periodic (antenna) model. But I don't know how to use this. I use ver.13, which does not have that option.

The coolest material for simulation is the air . No loses, no tangent delta, no imaginary part.:???: It is from God?

as i got a reply that metamaterial is a circuit and create this circuit inside the project............
my question is this only how can it be created simply by assigning the radiation box with electric and magnetic properties both

I`m playing with CST.

The coolest material for simulation is the air . No loses, no tangent delta, no imaginary part.:???: It is from God?
The air is lossy. Worse, it can be ionized. It can hold water as well. And it is high impedance, hell for impedance matching. From the other hand, the radiation cone is too wide allowing for radiation loss in bent circuits.
In HFSS, there's vacuum for quick simulation purpose.

- - - Updated - - -

I`m playing with CST.
seems, you are playing drunk...

- - - Updated - - -

how can it be created simply by assigning the radiation box with electric and magnetic properties both
I don't get, what you want.
You have a circuit for metamaterial. Put it inside the air box (ok, air box made of vacuum). Apply boundaries to the box as you like.
If you want to know full modal profile for infinite structure - apply periodic boundaries to the unit cells in place of junction, use driven terminal solver.
Of course, you can replace 3D models of microstrips with 2D planar figures, where layered impedance boundary is applied. This will save you time with some penalty in precision (note: does not work for coplanar and slotline circuits)

Last edited:

i have a UWB structure which i want to realize through meta materials.............
that i am not able to understand how to make it ......
first of all how to make a split ring resonator in HFSS...........

Ah, I see why we couldn't understand your question.
You don't know how to work in HFSS. So, I recommend you first try to follow basic tutorials to get familiar with the editor. (Autodesk 3D studio/3DMAX experience would be very helpful as well)
It is pointless to ask here questions about metamaterials, while you don't know how to simulate simple resonator.

BTW. There are some tutorials exactly for basic SRR structures can be found at ANSOFT of.site.

- - - Updated - - -

And I should poit it, that SRRs are NOT UWB. Of course you can operate in the whole Brillouin zone, but it will have very large refraction index and impedance dispersion in the band. And plasmonic wires are very lossy as well. You should turn to DR based 3D structures.

Hi Mahima,

You can find an example of metamaterial unit cell in this post: https://www.edaboard.com/threads/87180/#post382922. You have to change the inside resonator, and place your SRR resonator. You have to scale the unit cell size to the periodicity you want to have, and chage the solution frequency to your desired one.

Regards,

Pere

In HFSS, there's vacuum for quick simulation purpose.

- - - Updated - - -

seems, you are playing drunk...

- - - Updated - - -
Andryusha don`t worry. Only horse in spheric vacuum.8-O
In the library Andryusha they say nothing concerning Th Δ and :shock: ξ=1.00059.

Attachments

• Air.jpg
    Air.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

hello everyone!

i was working on UWB now i want to introduce meta materials to UWB antennas . can anyone help me to do so and explain me how can i do that.........:-(

Hi mahima tandon,

As Andryuha pointed out, realized metamaterials are in general highly dispersive. I wouldn't put them in the UWB category. Before you put them into an antenna, I would recommend that you verify their bandwidth on their own.

Good Luck

Hallo! mahima tandon
i have made like this and inculded it with my UWB antenna if you want to make split ring resonator in hfss , simply you draw circle for example with rauis 5mm and draw another circle with radius 3mm with the same center point and then subtract and then you can add two small rectangular at the spacing you want and subtract again.

the attached file will help you

Attachments

• Split ring resonator.rar
    31.4 KB · Views: 142

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back