Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electret mike - connection to plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I soldered the red/white wires to the mike's +/- terminals and the shield to the metalic housing.

A) At the plug end, the (-) and the shield were soldered together going to the common of the preamp. Is this reasonable?

B) Found the shielded plastic-jacketed bipolar cable quite hard to bend. Could I use single shielded wire (red only plus shield), soldering the shield to the housing and negative terminal? I do not see any difference since in both cases signal is unbalanced.

C) Used it to test on the bench my just-built pre + filter + amp. It seems to work but I hear some hum (most probably 50 Hz from mains). Should I do something else on the mike + wire + plug or could I expect that a metalic enclosure could cure it?

Thanks for any reply / comments.

Last edited:

There are two different kinds of electret mics:
1) 2-wires. It has a signal output wire and a 0V shield wire. The signal wire is shielded by the 0V shield wire that also connects to the metal housing of the mic.

2) 3-wires (sold at Radio Shack). It has a positive power supply wire (red), a signal output wire (white) and a 0V shield wire. The signal wire is shielded by the 0V shield wire. I do not know if the shield wire connects to its metal housing.

If the preamp is built on a solderless breadboard then the many rows of contacts and jumper wires are antennas that pick up mains hum and all kinds of interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back