Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

inductance of a partially filled solenoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

paujuan

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I would like to know how to calculate the inductance of a solenoid once we put a ferrite rod inside it that only fills a small portion of its space. Let the magnetic field be considered constant (as the solenoid is long enough and the rod small enough): what is the flux increase due to the presence of the rod?
Thanks,

You have to consider the reluctance of the mean magnetic path (total resistance of mag circuit) and how much of it is short circuited by your slug. I doubt if your calculations will be accurate as you will not know the magnetic path in the air outside the solenoid, and what percentage of the field is " captured" within the solenoid by your slug.
Frank

Thanks for your reply. However, I consider that the reluctance cannot be directly calculated, as a geometrical approximation would be really far from the real results. Moreover, what if the rod is not placed axially with reference to the solenoid (e.g. with a 45º degree angle)??
Thanks,

Moreover, what if the rod is not placed axially with reference to the solenoid (e.g. with a 45º degree angle)??
Changes the problem to true 3D (axisymmetric could be still mapped to 2D), so welcome to the world of numeric field solvers!

Axisymmetric model in FEMM will do the job. FEMM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back