Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Board materials for use in temperatures from -40 degrees C to 150 degrees C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianpcb

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,
I need some advice here. I've been asked to design a board that has a temperature range from -40 degrees C to 150 degrees C.
I was thinking of using FR4 TG170 but wasn't able to find any information if this material can go down to -40 degrees C.

Thanks,
Adrian

FR4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FR-4

FR-4 (or FR4) is a grade designation assigned to glass-reinforced epoxy laminate sheets, tubes, rods and printed circuit boards (PCB). FR-4 is a composite material composed of woven fiberglass cloth with an epoxy resin binder that is flame resistant (self-extinguishing).

Maybe this can help:

The influence of high and low temperatures on the impact properties of glass–epoxy composites
Faculty of Technology and Metallurgy, Belgrade, Republic of Serbia and Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Belgrade, Republic of Serbia

**broken link removed**

Best regards,
Peter

There are many available options. Consider this for example, rated to handle down to -96 Celsius : **broken link removed**

You can also contact any manufacturer of the standard varieties and ask them for a quick recommendation.
It may also be possible to simply calculate if it will work for your application based on the relevant specifications of the board at hand: IE the coefficient of thermal expansion etc etc etc.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.