Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Improvised Guitar Pickups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francis Fabian

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
As what you read in the title, I had my own Improvised Guitar Pickup. :cool:

This pickups are no homemade, but instead, improvised. These Pickups are made from PC speakers which used to work before but stopped responding due to that it's circuit board is already broken.
And I know microphones and speakers had the same principle. They both had a Circular magnet with a coil of electrical wires around it.

Well, I started using these pickups for about a month. I liked it at first, but when I tried it on a studio, It has a lot of irritating feed backs. And of course, I can't play loud enough and enjoy the music that I'm into. :-x

Is there a way to limit the distance of recording sound covered by these pickups ? For at least 2 Inch? And of course without losing it's loudness as of how I use it in the start.

Could I just simply insert and solder transistors or resistors around the circuit or what?

Immediate feed back needed. Thanks!

Ad lastly, I don't have time for making my own pickups for I don't enough resources and budget.
Thanks! :wink:

Never done anything like this and now partially deaf due to The Stones and Status Quo at too high a volume, so have never learn't a musical instrument!!!

My instant thought is could you use something like a record deck magnetic cartridge amplifier placed near the pickup. Battery powered to reduce hum.

Obviously it depends on your junk box and friends.....

Is this for an electric or acoustic guitar? Electric guitar pickups are not microphones - they rely on the metal string disturbing the magnetic field so are fairly insensitive to actual sound, although they can pick up hum fairly well.

Keith

I agree - it appears you are effectively using microphones as an electric guitar pickup.
The reason is likely because the coils can be moved by the acoustic vibrations from the amplified speakers, in addition to having induced currents due to the moving strings.
You really only want the latter induced string contributions for an electric guitar.

A couple of ideas for you ...
-> You might try to use glue to "fix" the coil spindles from being able to freely vibrate in the air, then you will stop the acoustic part which is causing the feedback.
(use a water-based glue or else you might dissolve the enamel insulation around the fine coil wire)
-> Take a look here (https://www.instructables.com/id/cheap-and-easy-guitar-pickups/) in case these DIY articles might give you more ideas.
-> Get to know the tech at a local guitar shop - he might have some old pickups lying around from someone who upgraded to aftermarket pickups, maybe for free or bargain.

Note that the design of those speakers also might not be very efficient for picking up induced current due to a nearby moving wire.
(e.g. the magnetic field is not very concentrated directly above the coil, and speakers usually have a low impedance and thus low gain compared to pickup coils which have lots of fine windings)
This could be further aggravating the acoustic component if you are having to increase the gain on your amp to compensate for this.
Internet searching for "guitar pickup design" will provide some helpful background info on such principles.
(e.g. https://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/pickups.php and https://www.guitartechcraig.com/techpckp/pickups.htm )

You can have a lot of fun tweaking your approach, and maybe you could write your own Instructables article afterwards.
I'm mainly trying to help out with some background so you can keep track of cause versus effect.

Note that the design of those speakers also might not be very efficient for picking up induced current due to a nearby moving wire.
"Not suited at all" rather hits the point.

Unfortunately the question isn't clear. As microphone for an acoustic guitar, there's nothing above a cheap electret device. Magnetic pickups for electric guitars can be easily made, but the operation principle is completely different from a moving coil speaker or microphone. Finally there are mechanical vibration sensors for acoustic guitars, typically using piezo elements.

"Not suited at all" rather hits the point.

Unfortunately the question isn't clear. As microphone for an acoustic guitar, there's nothing above a cheap electret device. Magnetic pickups for electric guitars can be easily made, but the operation principle is completely different from a moving coil speaker or microphone. Finally there are mechanical vibration sensors for acoustic guitars, typically using piezo elements.

The pickup was supposed to be for an acoustic guitar. I usually stick it easily to the front with adhesive tapes. In other words, it was nearly exposed to background noise.
Any more suggestions? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.