Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

bridge rectifier......

Status
Not open for further replies.
A simple LC circuit will provide regulation? Within 1 to 2%? can you kindly provide a source for this? I never heard of this before. As far as I know it provide a frequency filter action, and not regulation. Are you sure you are using the term correctly?

Sorry, I used the word regulation incorrectly. I meant that ripple is reduced to 1 or 2 percent.

If I use this circuit to block the AC signal, then will it allow DC to pass through it? My DC is between 20-40V.

The diode bridge is the section that converts AC to DC. It produces 'DC mountains' (if we can use such an awkward name).

The smoothing section typically consists of coils and/or capacitors.

A coil will pass DC. It must be rated to carry your maximum expected amperage without overheating. It must be rated not to saturate at your frequency of operation.

As you can see, coils tend to be more trouble (and expense). Nevertheless there are good reasons to use coil filtering as well as capacitors.

It has become common to use capacitors only. They are inexpensive. They have primarily two specifications which are easy to understand (Farad value and volt rating).

Series things? What things? I have been doing electronics for 30 years and this is the first I have heard of such a thing. Do I insert a 'thing' and get regulation? Can I get voltage regulation? Can I get current regulation? I just pop in a 'thing' and get regulation?

Are you saying that a polarized capacitor can used in AC circuit where the voltage reference to the cap 'positive' terminal can be negative, can be a polarized cap? This is amazing. So there is no need for non-polar caps? You can use polarized caps in an AC circuit which the cap can be reverse polarized - by the applied voltage? Can you share references that state this? I would love see this stated by a reliable source.

You are being in electronics for 30 years and are you really didnt got what i mean in series Things....

I never talked about AC, I just asked here is the capacitor after rectifier always in DC and Why non - polarized capacitor

What DC Voltage should I get after the bridge rectifier if my Input is 110/220V ac, 50/60Hz? (Bridge rectifier is made of four 1N4004 diodes). Is there a formula to calculate the same?
How can I step down output voltage that I get from rectifier? I am looking for 24V dc as a final output voltage.

Thank you,
p72

Screenshot showing simulation...

Choke-input (200mH), followed by capacitor (1000 uF), provide regulation within 1 or 2 percent, at 2A.

HI BradtheRad,

In your diagram, AC input first goes in to the "Rectifier"? I thought it is supposed to like this: AC (In) --> Inductor (Choke) and Cap --> so at the output there will be no AC available. (Choke filter will block all AC.)
Now, if I apply DC (20-40Vdc) to the same circuit, choke filter allows pass it through. Is it true?

Thank you,
p72

HI BradtheRad,

In your diagram, AC input first goes in to the "Rectifier"? I thought it is supposed to like this: AC (In) --> Inductor (Choke) and Cap --> so at the output there will be no AC available. (Choke filter will block all AC.)
Now, if I apply DC (20-40Vdc) to the same circuit, choke filter allows pass it through. Is it true?

This would be an unorthodox design for a power supply. The choke's influence would be based on the amount of AC current going through it. The effect would be to reduce the volt level to various degrees, depending on the current drawn by the load. The resulting output could be unpredictable.

If the load is constant, then it would be feasible to reduce voltage at the load by installing a choke in the AC supply lead.

There also are cases where you might instal a choke in the AC power lead, to cure a problem with electromagnetic interference (EMI).

Thanks.
I am just wondering if I need to block AC (without knowing load) with 220Vac, 60Hz, Can this "Choke and Capacitor" will do it? Basically, I am looking a component/circuit that blocks "completely" AC (220Vac, 60Hz) and it allows DC to pass through it.
(As we know about capacitor blocks DC and allow AC to pass.)

Thanks.
I am just wondering if I need to block AC (without knowing load) with 220Vac, 60Hz, Can this "Choke and Capacitor" will do it? Basically, I am looking a component/circuit that blocks "completely" AC (220Vac, 60Hz) and it allows DC to pass through it.

A coil cannot take pure AC and turn it into DC. Nor can a capacitor.

What they can do is to filter out the AC component and only if some DC component is already present in the incoming waveform.

To get DC from pure AC, you need to rectify it. The simple way to do this is by using a diode or a full diode bridge.

Thanks.

normally a capacitor will enough and inductor will be more than enough if we want pure pure DC for our load means we have to produce some more(3 or 4) voltage and regulate it with a regulator..

Status
Not open for further replies.