Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

metallic spherical resonator coupled between microstrip lines HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

davwin29

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm new to HFSS as well as new to microstrips and resonators, however i've been learning fast. My project is to basically design a metallic spherical resonator that is coupled between two microstrip lines. I was unable to find any journal papers that closely resemble this design, since most were based on dielectric resonators. I have built my designs in HFSS and simulated them but was unable to gain a resonant frequency(s) for the metallic sphere from the results. I have attached my HFSS models for anyone willing to help.

I have hit a dead end and don't know where to go from here. Any help that anyone can give me will be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Microstrip_Sphere_FlatLines.hfss.doc
    103.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Microstrip_Sphere_V2.hfss.doc
    126.4 KB · Views: 72

I've seen circular ring resonators but not spherical. Are you sure that's what you want? How do you plan on fabricating the sphere or keeping it in place?
1. You should define integration lines to your ports from center of line straight down to ground.
2. interpolating sweep from .5-100GHz with solution frequency of 20GHz may miss any resonances
3. There are no E fields inside a closed metal sphere, so no internal modes to resonate. Any modes would then be on the surface so best bet would be where half of the circumeference is lambda/2.
4. box is much larger than it needs to be which increases size and time to run.
5. try single microstrip directly under sphere and look for notch behavior for resonance.
6. Include surface of sphere in field plot

Yes a spherical resonator is what i am trying to achieve. This is a research project that I'm undertaking so not even sure if it will work however I'm still positive it can be done. The sphere will be fabricated externally and keeping it in place on the substrate is still be investigated, currently just trying to simulate it.
Thanks for your tips, I have now added the integration lines and changed my analysis setup to to be more realistic with a solution frequency of around 10Ghz and an interpolating sweep of 1-20Ghz. The range that you saw was just from me 'playing around', I expect it to resonate between 1-20Ghz however.
I have just tried the single microstrip directly under the sphere and still couldn't see no resonance. When you say notch behavior you mean like peaks? Sorry my terminology is a little off.

If you have anything more to add i will be very appreciative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back