Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need advices for designing a ku-band upconverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

amihomo

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I want to design a ku-band upconverter using rfic components.
Design requirements are:
1-RF frequency band 14-14.5 GHz
2-Baseband bit rate : 10-500 kbps

i searched the internet and decided to use ADF4350 synthesizer in a two level mixing design.
My question is what would be the suitable LO frequencies for the first and second mixer stages?

Can I use the auxiliary "RF out b+and b-" of the ADF4350 for the first LO and use a frequency multiplier to use the RF output A as the second LO of the two stage mixer?

Does the auxiliary "RF out b+and b-" give the same output freq as in RF a+and a- or can it be used to generate seperate freq range.

If the output A is swept, does the output B swept accordingly (by the chosen division factor), or it is independent?

BR

from ADF4350 datasheet,
AUX Output Select: DB9 sets the auxiliary RF output. The selection can be either the output of the RF dividers or fundamental VCO frequency.
AUX Output Enable: DB8 enables or disables auxiliary RF output, depending on the chosen value.
AUX Output Power: Bits [DB7:DB6] set the value of the auxiliary RF output power level (see Figure 28).

So RFb=RFa/N

Reactions: amihomo

amihomo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thank you tony_lth,

so when the fundamental VCO frequency is swept, I cannot use the aux output as a fixed LO. Am I right?

yes, RF_B will follow RF_A sweeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back