Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need advices on FPGA board for professional development

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidir

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Our lab plans to buy a FPGA board for professional development. We have some experiences on Nios board already. And we feel that it is somewhat small, suitable for starters. So we want to buy a board with larger FPGA chips and more supports for high performance embedded computing and signal processing. Which board should we buy? How about Altera stratix vs Xilink spartan? Thanks!

It depends on your requirements, I think it is better to list your requriements and ask the technique support from Xilinx and Altera. They will give some some details about their solutions.

Provided you had owned a nios board, you must obtain the quartus II license and be familiar with its working style. So why invest extra money and learning energy on Xilinx board with ISE? I recommend you to buy Stratix based board.

sidir

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
bittware, you are right. Your advice remind me of the troublesome procedure to get workable licenses from the distributor. Thank you!

Hi, I think the question was more of device functionality rather than the s/w involved.
I have used both quartus 2 and Xilinx ISE. I find them both user friendly, easy to learn and click-and-go type (though I would not recommend doing just that!). Its equally important to know what you are implementation is and to get familar with the system functionality, logic/memory requirements. Assign proper clocks, and follow banking rules.
I would recomment choosing board with FPGA which has PowerPC, in-built transceivers, RocketIO. I have seen a Xilinx FAE demo a development board with flash mem, USB interface, RS232 , GbE ethernet, DDR interface and have it running in just 5 mins.
have a look at their offerings **broken link removed**

Go for Virtex-II family....

Go for Virtex II family and if you want to have a developement board to implement hi-density design with embeded processor, I suggest to use ARM developement board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back