Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My tesla coil secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.

boylesg

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Here is my tesla coil secondary.

I have another one this size and then a pair of larger ones.

My resonance frequency test circuit is in the chinese container. I have 4 different timing capacitors, that I can jumper on the outside of the container, and two series timing pots (10k and 5k) rather than the 10k pot and 470R resistor as in the spec.

Real fine. You progressed from jacob's ladders, to singing jacob's ladders, and now foot-high tesla coils.

Great idea, using a plastic chinese food tray as a project enclosure.

- - - Updated - - -

Real fine. You progressed from jacob's ladders, to singing jacob's ladders, and now foot-high tesla coils.

- - - Updated - - -

I have another secondary that is 3-4 foot high with a much larger toroid. I wound that with the magnet wire from the ferrite thingys at the base of the picture tube of old tvs. That is much easier to extract and clean than the magnet wire from microwave oven transformers. But you usually have to solder 3-4 lengths together. Once the solder joints, and the rest of the coil, are covered with epoxy it shouldn't be an issue.

I haven't run it yet so I don't know if the audio modulation will work yet. But the design was as per advice from this forum so I am confident it will. How distinct the music will be is the big question.

After this I would like to have a ***** at connecting a midi key board of some sort to the tesla coil. But that is going to involve arduino microcontrollers etc I suspect and a new learning curve for me.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose I could glue a piece of perspex to the lid and make it a little more sturdy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back