Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with Fluke 87-V

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter-b

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am just learning and doing electronics as a hobby and I recently purchased a Fluke 87-V. It is spot-on except its AC measurements are puzzling - it seems the readings are off by 10-20% or even more. I noticed its AC readings (both the voltage and current) did not match some other sources. Then I connected it to a NI DAQ generating a perfect sinusoidal volatge signal and it was still off: For 1VAC where RMS should be 0.707 it was hovering around 0.5 and not stabilizing. Peaks were wrong: instead of +1 max and -1 min it is something like +0.4 max and -1.63 min; the frequency measuremets are also way off along with duty cycles.

Could somebody explain is that ‘normal’, is that something I did wrong (but with such a simple setup it should measure correct values!), do I need to ask Fluke for service and what is going on?

Thanks
Peter

I spent more time studying 87-V and testing it, and it turns out the mistake was mine - the DMM is spot on, in fact, very precise. I just had to learn to use it properly.

Great product, Fluke!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.