Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] 60 v input 12v output 2a 3pin regulators

Status
Not open for further replies.

freemanantony

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello everyone,
i need a 60v input 12v output 2A 3terminal regulator can any one help me on this

hello everyone,
i need a 60v input 12v output 2A 3terminal regulator can any one help me on this

You can use e.g. the LM350 adjustable voltage, 3A regulator. Two resistors are needed to set 12.0V output. Make sure to use a good heat sink : I would prefer to add a dropping resistor before the regulator, to get ~15-18 V to regulate. The dropping ~22 Ohms, 100 W resistor will dissipate the large power before you regulate.

Another less lossy solution is to buy a DC/DC converter; there are versions with 40-70 V input and 12 V regulated output at 2 A load. They offer >75% efficiency, so less heat to dissipate. Only the size is bigger than the first version.

I wouldn't recommend a linear regulator for that much power. It gives you 96W to dissipate which is a lot. The LM350 cannot do it - it has 1.5C/W junction to case so even with an infinite heatsink would exceed the maximum junction temperature at room temperature. Even if you have a series resistor you still have to get rid of the heat. Look at switching regulators such as the LM5088 or TPS54360.

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.