Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low SMPS current output problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mido_ameer

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have 12VDC switching power supply adapter of my ADSL router
when I connect it to the mains the router doesn't come on, it has to stay 3 days until the router switches on and operate.
when I tested the power supply's output volt it is 12V (11.88V), but when I connect a load (12VDC-150mA computer fan) the voltage drops to 2.5V, where even the fan cannot rotate.
I tried to change the opto-coupler and its switching transistor but no result.
Can anybody got the knowledge help me, please.

I have 12VDC switching power supply adapter of my ADSL router
when I connect it to the mains the router doesn't come on, it has to stay 3 days until the router switches on and operate.
when I tested the power supply's output volt it is 12V (11.88V), but when I connect a load (12VDC-150mA computer fan) the voltage drops to 2.5V, where even the fan cannot rotate.
I tried to change the opto-coupler and its switching transistor but no result.
Can anybody got the knowledge help me, please.
Hi Mido
I think your adapter is kind of flyback converter . ( and perhaps a current mode one ! ) hence try to find current limiter section ( a high wattage resistor ) try to measure voltage across it under the load , and then try to measure fed voltage ( in transistor of your opto coupler ) how much is , that when you have putted a load in out put ? try to check your out put capacitor too . perhaps it has been destructed .
If so you'd better to change it .
Do you have access to the oscilloscope ? if yes try to see PWM signal when you've full load . and tell me , how much is it's duty cycle . is that around 50 percent ? how much is it's frequency ?
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

I don't know weather it is AC or DC (I guess AC), but I checked both types and it is absolute zero
What should I do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back