Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle PCB layout.....net ties, net joiners, and other....

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

I Eagle Light...........

how do i turn off the little cross-hair that shows up in the (usually middle) of the schematic symbol?

Also, is their a way of joing two differently named nets? (i.e shorting them together, as in using "net ties")

Also, when routing, can i invoke the track to stop moving forward when less than 0.3mm away from another track (or piece of metal ) from a different net.

Also, how can you highlight a net?.......i press that "eye" thing and type the net name , but it barely highlights it at all.

The crosshairs on schematics are the component origin and cannot be turned off, I believe. On the PCB they can be turned off (although you need them turn on to be able to select components).

To join two nets simply rename one net to match another.

Under the Options menu, SET, MISC, there is a SNAP LENGTH that you can change.

To improve highlighting you could change the default net colour to something darker.

Keith

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks Keith,

actually i dont want the nets to have the same name....the whole point is to have two nets of different names shorted together at a particular point......its called a net tie in altium or a start point in cadstar......

so its "snap length" which provides the "stop on approaching obstacle" function....

...some days i wish the PCB fraternity would all get together and use the same jargon.....i mean the vendors eg zuken etc.

Also,
do you know what allows you to pan round the schematic...( i am not using a mouse, just the touch pad)......also, the screen on laptop is very small....can i simply go to tescos and buy a monitor, and plug it into the laptop to get a bigger screen.?

I am not aware of a "net tie" on Eagle. You could create a component that does it, I guess.

One way to "pan" is to use F5, it re-centres the drawing on the cursor.

You should be able to plug a bigger monitor into your laptop - just check what resolution your laptop can drive (usually a lot higher than the built in screen).

Keith

- - - Updated - - -

Just to add, there used to be another way of panning and I think it can be re-enabled by adding

Interface.UseCtrlForPanning = "1"

into the eaglerc.usr file. Then you can hold down CTRL and use the cursor for panning.

However, I haven't tried it recently and it may cause problems with things like re-snapping to grid (which uses CTRL click).

Keith

T

Thanks, my laptop appears to do 1366*766 .....at least thats what the control panel "display" section appeared to say.

My Laptop is a Toshiba satellite C650D 12J
**broken link removed**

I wondered if my Toshiba laptop would be able to drive this monitor?
http://www.tesco.com/direct/benq-g2020hd-20-lcd-monitor/210-8504.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=210-8504

...the 20" monitor has more resolution than my laptop, so i wondered if that kmeans its a no-goer for connecting to my laptop.?

- - - Updated - - -

That is the resolution of the display on the laptop. If you run at that resolution you will be no better off.

However, the graphics driver of you laptop will drive 2048x1536 so should drive the monitor well. You would normally only drive LCD type monitors at their native resolution for maximum sharpness.

You may even be able to run dual monitor. I run that all the time except when travelling. I put the schematic on one screen and the layout on the other. In your case (assuming you laptop can do it) I would do the PCB on the external monitor.

Keith

T

Thanks, but surely i will be better off in terms of being able to see more of the circuit on the one screen, even if the resolution is the same on the bigger monitor?....at the moment i can only see bits on the laptop monitor

If you run a monitor at the same resolution as your laptop then the view will be exactly the same only bigger. You won't see more. Maybe that is all you want but with a 20" monitor I would want higher resolution than the laptop screen.

Keith

T

1600 * 900 of the 20" monitor is not much more than the 1366*766 of my laptop, so im not sure if this moniotr is really worth it?

Possibly not, unless you can run dual monitor. I cannot remember my monitor resolution - I can check on Monday. I run 2x19". It is a lot cheaper to buy two monitors which can give you 3000 pixels or more across the two than buy a single one with similar resolution. Dual monitors are good for software writing as well - one screen just never seems big enough.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back