Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How much code is in Emergency LED lights? (Emergency exit illuminators)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,

Concerning those LED lights which light up fire exits, they must have a battery so that if the mains fails, the sign is still illuminated by a (reduced) level of light.

Also, every month, these signs must "self test"...that is, they must switch off their own mains, and power the LEDs with the battery for 1 minute, just to show that the battery works..........they can tell if its working by eg measuring the current to the LEDs during this time.

Also, if someone presses a button on the unit, it must go into self-test...i.e., once again, power the LEDs from the battery.

How big would such a code be for such an operation?

I am thinking that surely this must be simple code, worthy of no more than a 10 pin microcontroller at the most?......and a small assembler program?

However, apparently the regulations make the code need to be massive. Is this true?.....and do you know where the regulations can be found for this?

I don't know of any regulations but if I was asked to design such a device, I would think of the simplest microprocessor possible with a comparator which I think is the PIC10F204. It would be more than capable of doing the job and only has 8 pins. With a few extra components to make an external ADC/Comparator a 10F200 would do the job. I would guess maybe 100 lines of asm should be enough code.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back