Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spartan 3AN JTAG programming while set to internal flash memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

thunderdantheman

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
G'day,

I'm using a Spartan 3AN in a project and am wondering... if the mode pins are set to load the config bit-stream from the internal FLASH, am I still able to directly program the FPGA via JTAG for development reasons? (i.e. without having to generate a PROM file and program the bit stream to the internal FLASH device for each iteration) Or do i need to include some method in my design to set the mode pins for JTAG only?

All the best.

Unless the 3AN is a special case. All of the Xilinx FPGA families will program via JTAG regardless of the settings on the MSEL pins.

Did you finally buy a case of beer for the layout guy and switch from the CPLD to this Spartan 3AN? ;-)

Regards,
-alan

I did, I did indeed!

That's good to know about programming anytime with JTAG - Datasheet doesn't really say this.

Just not enough registers in the CPLD to create the FIFOs i need...

I did, I did indeed!

That's good to know about programming anytime with JTAG - Datasheet doesn't really say this.

Just not enough registers in the CPLD to create the FIFOs i need...

From UG332 (v1.6) October 26, 2009:
In iMPACT 9.2i and later, you have the option to either configure the FPGA directly
through JTAG mode or to program the Internal SPI PROM and then configure through
Internal Master SPI mode.

So make sure your using a version of iMPACT later than that one otherwise it programs the internal flash then commands the FPGA to configure in master mode from the internal flash.

So is some respects it is a special case.

Regards,
-alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back