Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial cable to usb issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANTI_HACKER

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on GSM and i use max232 and serial cable to connect to pc com port and tested the gsm module on hyper terminal which worked perfectly. Now I have bought a laptop(win 7) I downloaded hyper terminal for win 7 and bought a cable having one end of rs232 and other end of usb port. I connected to hyper terminal but not getting any response. Dont know what to do?

Hi,

Have you selected the right com port for the USB cable ?

Have you got the ports Flow control set to None ?

Also try one of the many similar and free programs which work much better than hyperterminal - puTTy is one.

Did you updated /installed usb to serial driver for your cable?

i have had similar issues with most of the usb to serial port converter and later figured out that their signals are not normally complete...i mean its not like the conventional serial port that we used to have in the now obsolete system "desk top" or woteva u call it.

so it dosent work with MAX232...to the best of my knowledge based on the cables that i have dealt with. so i advice you try locating the RX and TX line as well as ground. then make a direct connection to your microcontroller "meaning that u hav to bypass the MAX232 chip".

- - - Updated - - -

also try getting the latest driver for your cable if things seems to get worst....gud luk.

I didn't use any driver for the cable but when i connect the usb cable the info message came which says the drivers are being installed but then the driver installation fails. I try this on 1-7 com ports but none worked. Moreover I have a very simple cable whose one end is rs232 and other end is usb I wonder what driver would i need for such a cable because it is a simple one no company name on it for which i would have to use a driver(I am using dell laptop7520 windows7). The problem is when I connect it to dektop pc using rs232-rs232 cable it works perfectly but when i use it with rs232-usb cable with laptop using the same settings of the communication it dont work! P.S. how would i use that PUTTY software.
Thanks in advance

@anti_hacker: it simply means no driver were installed for your cable: you can check this by going thru your device manager. just incase u can do this by plug in ur cable then folo dis steps
1: goto my computer select system property at the top left
2: click on device manager
3: select ports (com & lpt)
4: u shud see ur device there with a mark right click on it
5: select properties; select details
6: under property, click on the drop dwn box
7: select hardware ids on the drop down box
8: right click on the number and copy it i.e.(NMWCD\VID_0421&PID_04ce&IF_JAVACOMM)
9: paste it on your search engine say "google"
10: from here u can now download the required driver for your cable....or better still u can post it here
.............gud luk;-)

This is what it looks like. When i connect it, it is displayed as OTHER DEVICES. I googled about that driver but couldn't found for win7/64bit, though I downloaded a driver from DELL website "TUSB3410" and installed it but still not working.
1.JPG

Kindly help more

hmmm TUSB3410 again!...i hav had bad times with this same cable and when i downloaded the driver it failed to work. i hav about six of them sitting like a scarecrow in my work zone and non of them worked!. if am not mistaking it is called a multiboot woteva bla bla bla. So my advice; go get another cable perhaps prolific cables or FTDI cables. since there drivers are easier to download and are also compatible with all windows version...

OK I am gonna go get another cable. But tell me which cable t buy? I mean whats the exact name?

PL2303 chips. FTDI232 chips....but here in nigeria i have used the PL2303 in all my design and i hav not encountered any probs...so PL2303 from prolific all the way...

i have found that CP2102 USBtoTTL converters work great. Reliable.

You can also use BAFO convertor...

- - - Updated - - -

You can also try with serial port monitor. which is virtual.......

Status
Not open for further replies.