Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altium component outline and clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

dizymid

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Altium by default uses pads, polygons and everything on the silkscreen except designators and comments to define the component outline. I am having a problem with this because on many of the parts there are pin numbers showing on the corners of the part, which essentially makes the component outline larger than it should be. Placing anything close to the component will cause a DRC clearance error, and the board space is very limited. I am wondering if there is anything that I can do to prevent the pin numbers on the silkscreen from enlarging the component outline. Any help would be appreciated.

as far as DRC is concerned un check the option that checks silkscreen clearance because it is not an electrical error that you should worry about.. however by double clicking the designator you can change it with size...that doesn't provide clearance issue

I had a similar problem while i am placing connector footprints close to each other on Altium . I just go to Tools>Preferences , PCB Editor , DRC Violations Display menu found component clearance and disabled violation overlay . But it took half an hour to find out , Altium is verye good tool but sometimes it makes me crazy :)

For the component, or entire design, edit the 3d body model. You can select either the bounding box, or the actual object made by just the lines, of any single layer, and have this define the 3d body. (The body itself can exist on another dedicated mech layer too.) So you can select just silk lines (not text) or just your assembly layer lines, etc. and if you don't always want to see the hatched lines when assembly layer is enable you can define a different layer to be for the 3d body that is left not visible in 2d mode. It will show up as a box in 3d mode to the height specified by the part, you get to pick color and opacity in the 3d body dialog.

A bit simpler and quicker than doing an extruded body model or STEP model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back