Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dont know much about electronics / Need any Help on finding a certain Device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electriciam

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey guys.

I am looking for a certain electronic device which can connect 2 areas, say for example one house to the surrounding neighbours houses. The device must be able to send signals between the houses via wireless (No wired connections). The device must be mounted on a wall of the house and the surrounding houses and be able to "talk" to each other through wireless signals, as well as have some sort of receiver that will allow a smartphone to control the boxes and send signals to them on the fly.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated! I have tried researching on the net for some devices but cant seem to find specifically the device that I'm looking for. None of them do these functions and only these. Need to also know where i could get some of these devices?

Thanks in advance,
Kind Regards

William

Hi william
I can help you in your aim but perhaps this suggestion will be better for you ! you can easily do coding your signals and then easily send them via power line ! ( power lines are common between each house ) . ( here in my country that is 220 volts 50 HZ )
It is basics of dispatching in power lines . the main advantage will be lower price and after that quality of signal and after that lower attenuation ratio .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Thanks for your hint i will check out those key words.

Hey goldsmith, thanks so much for your speedy reply. I would preferably have it wireless, as it is more secure in this case. Power lines may be cut / damaged and will cause a break in the circuit am i not right?

How much of a difference in price would it be? What do you mean by lower attenuation ratio?

Thanks alot man

Hi Again
No problem if you want do it with wireless system . but about security , i think both are correspond together .
How much of a difference in price would it be?
With this method with a low power you can easily handle long distances ( very long distances ) . so price will be very lower .
What do you mean by lower attenuation ratio?
Each wireless system which using air as transmission line , will have attenuation ratio , because of air / trees / birds / air planes / animals / humans / ... etc . but power line won't have high value of attenuation ration ( it will be pretty insignificant . )
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Thanks for your hint i will check out those key words.

Hey goldsmith, thanks so much for your speedy reply. I would preferably have it wireless, as it is more secure in this case. Power lines may be cut / damaged and will cause a break in the circuit am i not right?

How much of a difference in price would it be? What do you mean by lower attenuation ratio?

Thanks alot man

The main problem with your request (some others do the same) is that you did not mention any technical details. How can one advise on a wireless system without knowing the distance between the transceivers? What type of data, voice or anything to transmit?

You should either contact your local radio amateur group for advice, and also learn the legal aspect- without a license, you cannot simply start transmitting a signal.

You can search the web, you could find "wireless TV cameras" with remote receivers, radio control systems for model car toys or airplanes. Many such things can be used also as wireless transmission systems but not all can be used anywhere.

Hi Again
No problem if you want do it with wireless system . but about security , i think both are correspond together .

With this method with a low power you can easily handle long distances ( very long distances ) . so price will be very lower .

Each wireless system which using air as transmission line , will have attenuation ratio , because of air / trees / birds / air planes / animals / humans / ... etc . but power line won't have high value of attenuation ration ( it will be pretty insignificant . )
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Would it be doable without a break in connection? That is vital. Be the house anywhere, may be close to power stations or any other area in a city but not too close. With that said will it still be very reliable using wireless ? Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

The main problem with your request (some others do the same) is that you did not mention any technical details. How can one advise on a wireless system without knowing the distance between the transceivers? What type of data, voice or anything to transmit?

You should either contact your local radio amateur group for advice, and also learn the legal aspect- without a license, you cannot simply start transmitting a signal.

You can search the web, you could find "wireless TV cameras" with remote receivers, radio control systems for model car toys or airplanes. Many such things can be used also as wireless transmission systems but not all can be used anywhere.

My bad, I'm new to this :p
Ok the distance will be between 1-5 metres (not far). License is not a problem. It will simply be an electric signal i think? The signal will be set off by a switch/button which must be sent to the receiver much like a pager or something like that. The objective is to simply send a signal and the receiver to receive it and notify the owner of the device. Its a project i am doing. Thanks so much for your help.

Would it be doable without a break in connection?
If wires be clipped , of course messages will be off !
Be the house anywhere, may be close to power stations or any other area in a city but not too close. With that said will it still be very reliable using wireless ?
What do you mean by that ?
All the best
Goldsmith

Would it be doable without a break in connection? That is vital. Be the house anywhere, may be close to power stations or any other area in a city but not too close. With that said will it still be very reliable using wireless ? Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

My bad, I'm new to this :p
Ok the distance will be between 1-5 metres (not far). License is not a problem. It will simply be an electric signal i think? The signal will be set off by a switch/button which must be sent to the receiver much like a pager or something like that. The objective is to simply send a signal and the receiver to receive it and notify the owner of the device. Its a project i am doing. Thanks so much for your help.

For such short distance and transmitting commands, there are several simple options:

You can buy small modules of transmitters and receivers usually operating at 433 MHz. Some are used in wireless lamp switches, others in auto keys or home bell extenders.

You can use infrared light like TV/VCR remote controls. Such device send coded signals for their many commands; you can use a tone-modulated LED light and a tone decoder in the receiver.

As I mentioned, "wireless cameras" use FM to transmit video and audio over up to 100 meters, typically at 2,45 GHz. You can adopt similar device and use its audio channel for your purpose.

If you wish, you can learn to build your own VHF or UHF transmitters and receivers by following projects published in radio amateur magazines and elsewhere. It is fun and you can learn by experiments.

Hi Again

Best Wishes
Goldsmith

I only need small distances of 1-5 metres, so i think i am gonna go with wireless :) I would like to actually use both. Maybe wired and if power is out or there is damage to the lines a backup wired or battery kind of approach? What device could i use for this? Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

For such short distance and transmitting commands, there are several simple options:

You can buy small modules of transmitters and receivers usually operating at 433 MHz. Some are used in wireless lamp switches, others in auto keys or home bell extenders.

You can use infrared light like TV/VCR remote controls. Such device send coded signals for their many commands; you can use a tone-modulated LED light and a tone decoder in the receiver.

As I mentioned, "wireless cameras" use FM to transmit video and audio over up to 100 meters, typically at 2,45 GHz. You can adopt similar device and use its audio channel for your purpose.

If you wish, you can learn to build your own VHF or UHF transmitters and receivers by following projects published in radio amateur magazines and elsewhere. It is fun and you can learn by experiments.

Thanks so much for your help. Okay first things first. I would like to have the device which can send signals between source and destination and vice versa, and then i will look into remotes. Sounds very simple and logical to me, thanks man. Okay would FM be able to transmit a simple signal like for example maybe a remote to a car to set the alarm on and tell the cars lights to flash? Probably not right? If not could you advise what kind of device can do this? Simple put. A mounted device on a wall or cupboard which when instructed will send a signal to a destination instructing it to perform a simple function, may it be to set a noise off or to put a light on or something along those lines. I do know that the technology is already available just am trying to get advice on exactly what device to test out to perform those functions.

Also what is a VHF or UHF transmitter/receiver? I am interested in making my own how would i go about this?

I only need small distances of 1-5 metres, so i think i am gonna go with wireless :) I would like to actually use both. Maybe wired and if power is out or there is damage to the lines a backup wired or battery kind of approach? What device could i use for this? Thanks
Hi again
for this pretty low distance , i think a wireless ( a simple FM or even AM transceiver ) will be fine . ( you can design it easily . )
Good luck
Goldsmith

Hi again
for this pretty low distance , i think a wireless ( a simple FM or even AM transceiver ) will be fine . ( you can design it easily . )
Good luck
Goldsmith

Thanks a lot man. How would i go about designing one and putting it into use? Thanks a lot for all of your help this far. Really do appreciate it.

Hi again
BW ? it derived from Band width .

I'm not sure about that unfortunately. I am very new when it comes to electronics. I simply need a transmitter that can send signals from one point to another. What is the average BW of an alarm system or gate mechanism? Thanks so much for your continuous help. I really do appreciate it alot.

- - - Updated - - -

I see you're from IRAN. My dad is Iranian. Good to know you and have your help.

I'm not sure about that unfortunately. I am very new when it comes to electronics.
Well , i think if you don't have any experience in telecommunications , it is a bit hard that you be able to do it . hence i think before that , you'd better to start read some books about RF circuit design and some thing about theorem of RF circuits and modulations . if you want i can introduce you some good books .
I see you're from IRAN. My dad is Iranian. Good to know you and have your help.
Really ? is that mean that you didn't born in IRAN ? if yes , may i ask which country you are in ?
Have nice time
Goldsmith

Well , i think if you don't have any experience in telecommunications , it is a bit hard that you be able to do it . hence i think before that , you'd better to start read some books about RF circuit design and some thing about theorem of RF circuits and modulations . if you want i can introduce you some good books .

Really ? is that mean that you didn't born in IRAN ? if yes , may i ask which country you are in ?
Have nice time
Goldsmith

Do alarm systems work on RF circuits??

Can you maybe explain to me how an alarm system transmitter and receiver works? I think this system would be the best to model what device and technology I need on.

Yes, I was born and live in South Africa and am half Iranian. My dad is from Terran.

Regards.

Do alarm systems work on RF circuits??
Hi again
What do you mean by that ? of course you can transmit each signal that you want with your transmitter .
Can you maybe explain to me how an alarm system transmitter and receiver works?
What kind of alarm system you are referring to ? if you tell me more explanation and informations , i will help you more :)
Yes, I was born and live in South Africa and am half Iranian. My dad is from Terran.
Oh it is very interesting ! i think your mean is Tehran ! and be sure that i will help you more ! ( because as a matter of fact , you are in iranian race too ! :grin: )
By the way , have you been ever in iran ? another question , can you speak Persian ? or just english ?
Greetings to you and your father ! :grin:
With my best wishes
Goldsmith

Hi again
What do you mean by that ? of course you can transmit each signal that you want with your transmitter .

What kind of alarm system you are referring to ? if you tell me more explanation and informations , i will help you more :)

Oh it is very interesting ! i think your mean is Tehran ! and be sure that i will help you more ! ( because as a matter of fact , you are in iranian race too ! :grin: )
By the way , have you been ever in iran ? another question , can you speak Persian ? or just english ?
Greetings to you and your father ! :grin:
With my best wishes
Goldsmith

Hey again! Hope you had a good weekend.

Well any alarm system. Lets say you have system like this: a sensor which trips the alarm noise if a door or window is opened or closed (burglary) and then you also have emergency buttons on the wall when pushed trigger the alarm. How would these work? In electrical terms.

haha thanks a lot !! Yes Tehran. I have never been to Iran but visited my Dads brothers in Sweden when i was younger. I will definately travel to Iran in the future though, the country fascinates me and I would love to see where my dad grew up. I only speak English haha but my dad speaks Persian/Farci. I will learn it one day also :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back