Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FIR filter internal bit growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

H.Hachem

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm trying to implement an FIR filter in Verilog and was wondering, if there's any practical way to truncate/round the MAC outputs in order to get the same output bit length as the input. I would simply round the output of the filter to the nearest quantization level, but maybe someone has a better idea.
Ans how about when using multistages, e.g. CIC-CIC-FIR-CIC-CIC . Should I apply bit pruning to every CIC stage or simply round at the very end of the chain?

Thanks in advance

The resoluion and dynamic range of digital filter data path and coefficients must be designed according to filter specifications. Keeping the bit length across multiplications requires truncation (preferably with saturation logic) and rounding. In VHDL it's easily achieved by the fixed point package, in Verilog you can write functions for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back