Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hardware implementation of long FIR filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

himadri_debnath

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have designed a multistage FIR filter for my project. Each of these filter has long number of taps. I want to implement it in Verilog but I am finding it difficult to write such a long verilog code. Is there any other shortcut method? I have tried MATLAB hdl coder but it is giving complex results which I didn't like. I am using xilinx Vivado.

How many taps in filter ? You cascading multiple FIR filters or just
the one ? Sampling rate ?

Regards, Dana.

How many taps in filter ? You cascading multiple FIR filters or just
the one ? Sampling rate ?

Regards, Dana.
I have 4 filters. 1st one has 242 taps, 2nd - 97 taps, 3rd and 4th 26 taps each. Total 391 taps. I am actually doing sample rate conversion. Converting it from 44.1 kHz to 48kHz.

For low sample rate, a RAM based sequential implementation would be preferred for resource economy.

I don't know which FIR tools are provided by Xilinx, I'm fully satisfied with Altera/Intel FIR compiler.

Since your data rate is only in the kilohertz range, why not use serial approach with a MHz clock?
You can store sample and coefficients in block RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.