Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Area under half cycle of a sine wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonc2

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I forget math. Given a sine wave with offset 0, amplitude a, and frequency f (Hz), the area under a half cycle would be...

area = a * 0.637 * 0.5 / f

or simplified:

area = a / (Π * f)

... right? Because the area under a half cycle of a 1/2 hz wave would just be 1 * 0.637 (width * height of equivalent rectangle). Just want to double check. Thanks!

Why don't you check the calculation through a simple integral? You know the sine wave expression, you know the endpoints, so the definite integral would give you the right answer, irrespective of the simple formulae you're using :-D

Cheers

Hey Jasonc2,

If you integrate a*sin(2pi*f*t)*dt within the limits 0 and 1/2f you will get the area to be

a/(pi*f), thats how you get it

hope it helps

Reactions: jasonc2

jasonc2

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks! I briefly attempted to check my reasoning myself with the integral but ended up just regretting all the times I slept through calculus. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back