Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Using motors in Arduino UNO

Status
Not open for further replies.

psurya1994

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can we interface motors which arduino UNO, without using a motor driver IC(L293D)?
The motor should be able to rotate in the the directions.

Hi,

You cannot drive a motor directly from the Uno, you must have some form of current amplifier be it a discreet transistors, a ULN2003 or L293 / 298 type of ic.

Assume you are talkng about a stepper motor, but whatever it is you need to give full details of the motor, type, maximum current and voltage, bi or uni, so we can advise you accordingly.

Assume you have looked in the Arduino Playground for example motor projects ?

I was a bi directional movement of a DC motor, not servo. What is the minimal hardware i can use to achieve that?
A 9V 100mA DC motor. I haven't looked into arduino playground.

Hi,

There is a mountain of infomation for Arduino and motors on the web.

Here is a good looking one with hardware and software for the Uno.
https://www.jeremyblum.com/2011/01/31/arduino-tutorial-5-motors-and-transistors/

It uses a simple transistor, its one direction only but thats easy enough to make bi diriectional by adding a relay or extra transistors.
Should use his design as is to first prove your circiut then add the direction change over.

Ya, i watched that video. That's fine. But how can extend it to two directions?

Hi,

There are several ways to change direction.

A simple dp changeover switch, a relay with dp changeover contacts controlled by an output pin and transistor from the Uno, or from a all electronic switch of a H bridge of 4 transistors.

See this pdf for details.

**broken link removed**

Can we interface motors which arduino UNO, without using a motor driver IC(L293D)?
The motor should be able to rotate in the the directions.

Why the avoidance of using the L293D?

It is amazing, you can purchased various H-bridge modules based on the L293, L298 or SN754410 for often less then the cost of constructing an alternative out of discrete components. Checkout eBay, the prices for such preassembled H-bridge modules start in the $3 range with free shipping and go up from there.

Of course, you could construct an H-bridge out of discrete components for the educational benefit, however it would most likely cost more than the preassembled modules on eBay.

The following generic schematic of an Darlington Transistor based H-bridge, has been successfully used to drive DC motors at 18V @ 5A when constructed out of the appropriate components and Heat Sinking:

A 10A version using only TIP142 and TIP147s, but missing need diode protection from Back EMF:

A couple of the Arduino H-bridge tutorials, although examples use L293/L298 they can be adapted to use discrete H-bridge designs like those above.

**broken link removed**

[Arduino] Bi-Directional DC Motor Control

A risky and not recommended approach using only an Arduino:

[Arduino] Bi-Directional DC Motor Control With Arduino Only

A Solid State Relay Bidirectional DC Motor Control project:

**broken link removed**

Hope these tutorials help in your endeavors,

BigDog

I have an other problem. When i make my bots, i should fix both arduino and breadboard to my bot but i don't have enough place on my bot. any alternative for this?

Hi,

Make your own circuit board to fit; smd parts would make it really small.

If you are not into making your own, then you can buy 'shields' that plug in and stack onto the Uno board.

You can get blank shields or even Motor shields - see this link (my local Arduino supplier) for some details - loads of others around the world.
**broken link removed**

If the breadboard to which you are referring is the solderless type, you should be careful not to exceed it maximum specs.

The maximum voltage and current ratings can vary widely depending on the quality of the breadboard, lower quality boards have typically have a 1A @5V/500mA @10V and operating frequencies < 10MHz, while some of the higher quality breadboards can have ratings as high as 2A @36V and operating frequencies <15MHz.

These ratings should not be a problem with a H-bridge circuit for a 9V 100ma DC motor, however keep these ratings in mind if you progress to larger DC motors.

Also circuits which switch relatively high currents On/Off, can produce significant EMI and can be quite disruptive with digital or microcontroller sections. Therefore, take appropriate measures to isolate the power supply driving the motor from that powering any microcontroller and putting some distance between the two sections. Otherwise, you may experience seemingly random resets, noisy data, etc with your microcontroller.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.