Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to generate infra red for a 100m range

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajaram04

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello sir
I want to generate infra red radiation which is able to travel a distance of 100 m near about , how could it be possible ?

Re: how to generate infra red for 100m range

Are you trying to communicate using IR light, or heat something up?

The ability of infrared radiation to "travel" is effectively unlimited. I guess you are talking about achieving a certain intensity at the receiver place. This refers to output power and radiation characteristic of the sender and fundamental optical laws.

ya ya all about what you are saying & using radiation of ir rays only it is , that i want to know
(say 100 m , 150 m etc etc) :)

I want to generate infra red radiation which is able to travel a distance of 100 m near about
Light a match. That will generate infrared that travels more than 100m. Or you can use a candle or a light bulb or a soldering iron.

Anything that is hot emits infra red radiation. The infra red radiation is not limited to 100m or 1km. It travels forever until it hits something.

haha ok ok but tell me is it possible for a photo diode at 100m distance to sence the radiations from a candle etc etc ?
im talkin in terms of electronics (say i want to send an audio signal via infra red radiation or want to operate a switch)

I have this Infrared Signal that is +280 dBm and I can receive it anywhere on Earth, anytime during the day, but you might have a hard time generating this level. It is called the Sun. So you must consider all sources of noise your signal level, bandwidth and received signal after inverse square loss and calculate if you can detect this. It is called a path loss calculation and you need to learn how to do this. THen determine the required power noise level for On and OFF state or choose a modulation method that avoids noise or direct sunlight. Usually people use Laser diodes for that distance at high speed, but at narrow bandwidth you increase SNR and thus improve BER. To detect a candle and isolate that optically from a large image needs a long dark narrow tube aimed at target or video processing.

30m IRDA is trivial at low speeds 100m is possible with care.
Slower the data rate the longer the distance. Satellites billions of miles away use milli-Hz data rates for this reason.

hmm i got it so i guess thermopile type heat measurement is done in this way u r explaining here right ?
rhat are the sensors we have in that which uses a gun like structure to measure furnance heat etc ?

I think it may be too difficult for you to design one. Laser alignment of optics, low noise trans-impedance amplifier and Sharp large area CCD with many other features to get maybe 15 ft with accuracy.

**broken link removed**
I suggest you call the experts at Omega.

(say i want to send an audio signal via infra red radiation or want to operate a switch)
That should be quite easy but I would use a red laser diode or laser pointer so I can see where it's shining.

First set up the laser diode so it's pointing at the target area 100m away, and fix it so it can't move.

Then go to the target area and look for the red spot from the laser. Position the receiver so the photodiode or phototransistor is in the red spot, and fix it so it can't move. Now put a black cardboard tube in front of the receiver so the laser can shine in, but not much other light can.

If you modulate the laser, the receiver should pick it up.

The original poster mentions different applications of IR, e.g. temperature measurement, remote control, optical audio link but doesn't specify an actual problem. In so far there's no exact answer.

A lot is possible, depending on the effort you are willing to spend and the application conditions. If you want to solve a specific problem, tell a detail specification.

Emitters for IR are fairly straight forward.. Get as much current as possible pulsed in a narrow band or ASK and then get a receiver with shielding, AGC and narrow BPF with a sensitive discriminator and daylight blocking filter. The you can remote control 100m. With 200mA LED drive current this one is rated for 50m distance at specified data rates. https://www.vishay.com/docs/82459/tsop48.pdf << READ

Last edited:

okk sir i got it so do u have any circuit diagram for it ? please reply !!

Too let me please have a good note of explanation on ASK etc you mentioned here

thankssssssssssss

Since infrared laser beam is invisible to eyes. It is not easy to see the intense infrared beam at 100m range. You can detect infrared beam with an IR detection card to test the beam range of infrared laser.

your request on IR LEDs is too vague. Pls define the scope of your project and objective. Data rate etc.. Sounds like you want Laser IR LED.

scope is just to send infra red beams to a long distance say a 100 m or 50 m or anything like that but not in a short range as we do in a room or in a hall , i just want to transmit from a single building to the next or second next , just like that . . .

haha ok ok but tell me is it possible for a photo diode at 100m distance to sence the radiations from a candle etc etc ?
im talkin in terms of electronics (say i want to send an audio signal via infra red radiation or want to operate a switch)

Photo diodes sense the incidence ot photons rather than IR rays so there may be some error in using this here

some time back we discussed here and I found thermopile are more suitable for sensing IR rays

what you are defining is absolutly alrite but its not so easy to have a simple thermopile from local market & too maintanance is cumbersome , if u say a simple l.d.r. then it might be possible but not things like thermopile , if you have any idea to get it easily then please tell me , i am in india now . .
well what about a bunch of small infra red l.e.d.s ? i am using infra red l.e.d.s used in remote control unit , i am connecting it in reverse to act as i.r. sensor & its working well , so if we increase the numbers what will happen ? how can we connect ?

- - - Updated - - -

and too tell me whats the highest range a simple remote unit can transmit ? i mean to say when using in a remote control unit the range comparitivly increases then i guess extending the theory further we can increase range . . .

Photo diodes sense the incidence ot photons rather than IR rays so there may be some error in using this here
some time back we discussed here and I found thermopile are more suitable for sensing IR rays
Sounds like you want to suggest that "IR rays" and photons are a different thing. But electromagnetical wave and photon are manifestations of the same physical phenomenon.

Optical sensors have different wavelength ranges however. Thermal detectors like thermopile or PIR are wideband detectors that can sense UV to far IR with respective windows, silicon photodiodes are restricted to a small range down to near IR. Although the problem description is rather nebulous, it seems like radiation of regular IR LEDS (mostly around 950 nm) shall be detected. Silicon photodiodes are best suited for this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.