Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DipTrace Schematic & PCB tutorial videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokkebk

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For those of you interested in the DipTrace schematic / PCB modeling suite (or anyone looking for something else than Eagle), I recently recorded a few instructional videos to YouTube showing the different parts of the software, hopefully useful to anyone who'd like a quick peek on the capabilities of DipTrace:

Using the Pattern Editor
Using the Component Editor
Schematic Capture Example

The three videos are a part of my DipTrace tutorial series, which covers also PCB layout part with similar videos, as well as gerber file generation. To avoid spamming links, here's just the first part, you can find the link to next part always from the bottom of the post:

https://codeandlife.com/2012/05/28/attiny2313-breadboard-header-with-diptrace/

I do like DipTrace a lot better, mainly because it has a nice, intuitive user interface, unlike Eagle, which causes me constant revulsion and makes me think that the developers have not cared a bit for improving the user experience for the last ten years. Other plusses on DipTrace side is how easy it is to make new components for both schematic and PCB layout side - it greatly compensates for Eagle's larger part library (most user-made parts collections are for Eagle).

Eagle does have its advantages, mainly the fact that many open source projects have their designs available in Eagle format. Other than the user base, I personally haven't experienced any plusses on the Eagle side. Some more experienced users may have comments on things Eagle does well.

I'd suggest you to try both for a simple project. See for example how quickly you can replicate the results from my DipTrace tutorial in DipTrace, and then try the same in Eagle. :)

Is it possible to write a script to place lines, pads and text? It is one of the main reasons I tend to use Eagle currently (I tend to
automate my parts creation). I write a program to generate a script file, which can be run in Eagle. It lets me rapidly place the shapes at
precise locations.
I noticed DipTrace has an ASCII import/Export but the files seem to have a much more complex format than Eagle script files which are
quick to create. Is a similar method possible with DipTrace? In other words is there some simple language that I can use to write my own
scripts, to be able to be imported into DipTrace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back