Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RE. Metcal MX500 repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

skrr

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone help me solve a problem with an MX500? About a year ago mine failed so I downloaded the schematics mentioned in another thread and found that U4 had died, I replaced it and all was well until last week when the unit failed again. I found that R1 had smoked and Q1 had blown to pieces,so I replaced them, checked surrounding components and plugged the unit in. All looked well so I turned it on, the yellow LED came on for a few seconds and then R1 and Q1 died again. I am a bit flummoxed

You should check with the factory, they have a 4 or 5 year warranty and they are pretty flexible.

I had the same problem. Replaced Q1 only to have it smoke again.

Debugged to C24. Replaced C24 with metallized polypropylene X2 capacitor 100nF Kemet PHE850ED6100MD18 (https://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=PHE850ED6100MD18&x=0&y=0)

Also replaced Q1 with Fairchild KSA473YTU which has a different pinout but no rinky-dink plastic heatsink. (https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/KSA473YTU/KSA473YTU-ND/1051643)

Can anyone help me solve a problem with an MX500? About a year ago mine failed so I downloaded the schematics mentioned in another thread and found that U4 had died, I replaced it and all was well until last week when the unit failed again. I found that R1 had smoked and Q1 had blown to pieces,so I replaced them, checked surrounding components and plugged the unit in. All looked well so I turned it on, the yellow LED came on for a few seconds and then R1 and Q1 died again. I am a bit flummoxed

Don't forget about the 4 year warranty AND they are selling refirbished systems in their web store.

Status
Not open for further replies.