Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help:Simulate Conical Horn Antenna in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

huiyuzz

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
horn antenna hfss

Hi,

I've tried to simulate a conical horn antenna using HFSS. I want to find out whether by inserting a dielectric at the end of the waveguide ( trying to use it as a focal lens?), will it reduce the beamwidth or focus at some point (like in optics).

However from my simulation, I've gotten undesirable results such as reduced gain, etc. I think it is because i'm generating in the far-field.

So how should I check in the near-distance, whether the energy can is actually focus at some point before diffracted again..

This book may be useful for your simulation:

Soild dielecrtic horn antennas by Salema etal

From my simulation (actually performed by MWS, @5GHz) seems that there's some E hotspot at the end of aperture.. It's correct because of your design?
Did you make any special calculation of dielectric sphere?
I'm opened to further discussion, regards

eirp

huiyuzz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
HI,

there's some E hotspot at the end of aperture
Yes, I want the E-field to focus at a certain point beyond the horn. And wish to know compared to a model without lens, comparatively in magnitudes how much more energy can be concentrated.

However I've plotted the near E-field values for horn with and without the dielectric. I've found out that although there is a Hot spot ouside the aperture as proved also with the "horn_01.gif" eirp has attached; the actual strength is smaller as compared to no visible hot spot, but the entire area is at a higher E-field strength.

Attached are my plots for the near-field Vs normalised distance.

Did you make any special calculation of dielectric sphere?
Right now, I've absolute no idea how the shape of the dielectric, which should act as a lens, can give the optimum result.

Any suggestions?

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back