Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microphone to headphone question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jreynolds09

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was wondering how to build a circuit to allow listening of my microphone ( such a a parabolic mic) through my headphones with out having a recording device in between the two. I don't want to run it through my computer either. I want to be able to take it into the woods and listen but without having to buy a device to act as a "middle-man". I just want to build a simple cheap audio amplifier that allows the mic to be "hard-wired" to it as the input and have the headphones just hook into it and listen. Preferably a 9v circuit or so. Any help or easy to follow schematics would be great. I have searched all over and everything I come across either requires using the computer or another expensive recording device. I was really hoping to just tap a $1 store radio or something to achieve the results. Please help!

Hi

The LM386 chip is ideal for driving headphones from a 9V battery. There are some example circuits in the datasheet here: https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm386.pdf.

The voltage gain is too low to connect directly to a microphone though, so you will need to add a simple microphone preamp such as the one below.

I was really hoping to just tap a $1 store radio or something to achieve the results.
That would be difficult to impossible with a radio, but may be fairly easy with an old portable cassette tape player. A good start would be to disconnect the tape head, and connect the microphone in it's place.

Regards - Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back