Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Metal dector batteries tried to eat my Detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

thudpucker

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
DSCF4646.jpgDSCF4662.jpg

We moved some years ago. The batteries were still in the Metal Detector and just recently I needed it, opened the case and saw this. Yuk!:-(

What we used in the past to 'wash' down some thing like this was a product called "Big Bath" but I've not heard of it lately.
What can I use to wash this scum off the case and some of it is inside the case and maybe even on the circuit board.

I haven't found a schematic for this thing yet. Any hints on that? It's a "White 4 DB".

Always remove batteries from device if device is not used for longer period, its old school. Determine whether the batteries that have leaked are alkaline or acid. Use vinegar or lemon juice to clean an alkaline battery leak, use baking soda to clean an acid battery leak.
Use gloves to protect fingers and hands, this battery leaking material is not health friendly.

Next time try to find some gold and buy new detector. ;-)

Old School is me! I'll never know how that happened.
Vinegar or Lemon for Alkaline battery (leftovers)
Baking Soda for an Acid battery leak.

Now to tell if I have Alkaline or Acid soup or a mix.
Thanks for the tip on the Wash.

I went to Radio Shack this morning and "Big Bath" hasn't been around for a long time. Yeow, I didn't know I was that far into Retirement.

IS that a copper-coloured top? If it's a duracell then it's alkaline, so you need the vinegar as tpetar said. I use (on the odd occasion I've had to) distilled or white vinegar. It's a bit stronger and has fewer 'impurities' to potentially be left behind.

Cotton-bud-tips, a small toothbrush or an electric toothbrush are useful too. I keep an old electric toothbrush and save used heads for cleaning all sorts of stuff. Makes the job easy.

Your detector could be an old 'Whites' model. I'm not familiar with them, but there is a great metal detector forum with a big and knowledgeable electronics community here:

http://www.thunting.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back