Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Doubts regarding FIR Filter Test bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

anishsingh

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi I am required to create a test bench to test my verilog code for FIR filter of order 7 (low pass) design for cutoff 2 khz. While writing a testbench ho should I give in 8 bit binary inputs to test filter functionality ??

the first test is to do time domain tests. An impulse like 0x40, 0,0,0,0,0 ... this will give scaled versions of the coefficients. This is a good test signal for systems that perform rate-changes as well. This is mainly to show the filter was correctly translated to HDL. Variations on this can be done. Ideally, if the coefficients are correct, and scaled to avoid overflow, you should be able to do the frequency domain testing in something like matlab.

beyond this, you should use generated data of things like 2khz sine waves, out-of band signals, etc..

I do it similar way. First, I would run impulse response test as permute described to check the filter implementation. Then, I would run co-simulation with Matlab where I compare the output of HDL model with the output of Matlab.

Status
Not open for further replies.